hen not right this morning

Forgot to say that Corid or Amprol, both amprolium, only treat coccidiosis and that they are found in the cattle section of most feed stores.

-Kathy

Thanks guys for all your help, sadly when I came home from work my beautiful little hen had died. So sad, can't believe how quick it was wiped out. Have thoroughly cleaned and disinfected coop, water, feed etc, do you recommend I treat the other hens now, they seem fine but am worried they may get sick too?

Quote: Unless a bird has lived a top notch lifestyle, a 'tonic' is beneficial. But medicating or treating for illness or injury ought to be done if symptoms are showing. This guy's not given you good advice, considering the bird's serious symptoms --- provided you elaborated them to him. Maybe he's one of those who is of the mindset that they have to be laying to justify treatment for illness.
Quote: Yes, it is advisable to treat them proactively.

When a chicken shows symptoms like your hen did, don't wait. It's serious, and time counts. Leaving it a few days tends to result just as this did: in death. Those symptoms she showed generally result in death without very swift treatment, and often the animal dies anyway since by the time it shows symptoms that severe it's already an advanced case. If it were coccidiosis, though, it ought to have responded to treatment, but there's no guarantee of a cure either.

I'm sorry to hear she died and hope you don't lose any more. Some diseases can wipe out your entire flock almost overnight. Considering the background that I'm assuming your hen came from, if I were you I would treat for cocci and a few other things immediately.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom