Hen not wanting to be with other three hens in the coop at night

Amethyst288

Songster
May 18, 2021
Before going to the outside coop, our young hens and roosters lived in the brooder in the basement. As we live in a city that doesn’t allow roosters, we had to get rid of the roosters. One of our hens, Goldie (variety of Easter Egger) was friends with one of the roosters that left. They both used to want to remain on top of the open door before we moved them down to close it at night! But since this rooster has gone, Goldie has been spending the nights back in the basement sleeping on the curve of the flue to the wood-burning stove. A nice cozy spot for her!

Now, the other three hens sleep outside in the coop. Goldie has always been at the bottom of the pecking order, and I've never seen her peck them. She’s maybe a few days younger than them. All of them are around 4 months old. But all the four hens are free-range during the day and seem okay together. The other three hens are: Sweetie, a black laced red Wyandotte, Cinnamon Girl and Mama who are New Hampshire Reds crossed with Leghorn. From what I can figure, her isolating herself at night from the others is three possibilities: her breed; her missing the rooster she was friends with; or she doesn't want to deal with the pecking order at night. What do you think it is? How do I deal with Goldie? Thanks! * Goldie is my profile picture.

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether to separate one of the hens at a time for a little while to see what happens in the pecking order?
Put them all in the coop and let them work it out.
Providing there is enough roost space for all.
(Pics of your coop, inside and out, would help here)
The RoostTimeRumble is almost always the most contentious part of the day,
and can be quite disturbing if you're too sensitive to chicken society/communications.

We had a bully hen like that. She was a member of the EE flock that was a year older than the Black Australorp hens we were trying to integrate. Everyone was getting along fine during the day, and there was plenty of room for everybody on the roosts. But at roosting time this one hen would put herself at the end of the row of EEs and refuse to let any of the BAs roost next to her or ANYWHERE on the roost, although, as I said, there was more than enough room for ALL the BAs.

So we put her in bully jail for three nights. This was a dog cage on the floor. No need for food and water, as we released her in the morning with all the others. On the fourth night we watched to see what she would do. And she bullied again. So back in the cage she went. I think it took nine nights total before she gave up her evil ways. By that time the BA had gained confidence and found their spots on the roost, AND the #2 hen had taken her position between the two groups. She had lost her spot as top hen.

Good luck!

From looking at the coop I don't see any obvious reason why she's not using the coop with everyone else, other than it's just become a bad habit to go the basement. I would try putting her in every evening (doesn't even have to be on a roost, just push her through the pop door and shut it) and see if you can break her current habit while also showing her this is where she should be at night.

Thank you, BigBlueHen53 for this! :thumbsup It's encouraging to know your bully hen learned her lesson. Did you separate the bully hen in the roost, or away from the others so she could not see them at night? Thanks!!
You're very welcome! The dog crate she was in was on the floor of the coop, which is an 8x10 walk-in building. I definitely wanted her in sight of the other birds. Does your coop have room for something like this?

Would that leave Goldie in the roost by herself? Not sure what that would accomplish, if so. In order to establish a pecking order, there have to be, well, someone to peck. At some point they are going to have to work it out among themselves. Not sure what to suggest at this point. Maybe put her in with the least aggressive hen for a while? Like for a week. Then add the next least aggressive. And finally the bully, who by that time may have settled down. One hopes.

What do the rest of you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom