Hen not wanting to be with other three hens in the coop at night

Would that leave Goldie in the roost by herself? Not sure what that would accomplish, if so. In order to establish a pecking order, there have to be, well, someone to peck. At some point they are going to have to work it out among themselves. Not sure what to suggest at this point. Maybe put her in with the least aggressive hen for a while? Like for a week. Then add the next least aggressive. And finally the bully, who by that time may have settled down. One hopes.

What do the rest of you guys think?

Would that leave Goldie in the roost by herself? Not sure what that would accomplish, if so. In order to establish a pecking order, there have to be, well, someone to peck. At some point they are going to have to work it out among themselves. Not sure what to suggest at this point. Maybe put her in with the least aggressive hen for a while? Like for a week. Then add the next least aggressive. And finally the bully, who by that time may have settled down. One hopes.

What do the rest of you guys think?
Hi, Thanks for your reply! That's a great idea. I really appreciate your input on this matter because it's become quite a problem. Regarding your first question, I mean to have Goldie with the other two hens in a cage in the same coop.

Hi, I have an update for Goldie. After 2.5 weeks there's been progress with Goldie, the gentle Easter Egger variety. She's been roosting in the coop at night with Momma, the hen that does the least pecking - and it's been fine. They're all together during the day. The other two hens (Cinnamon Girl and Sweetie) have been going back to their new roosting area in the run every evening.

I tried getting one of the other hens (Cinnamon Girl) to go into the coop at night with Goldie and Momma, but Goldie bolted out of the coop. The other two hens still show a bullying attitude towards Goldie and don't approve when I go to stroke Goldie. But Goldie keeps out of their way. However, today I saw Goldie stare back at Cinnamon Girl!

I think the other two hens are going to have to continue to roost separately at night. They are just those kinds of hens that peck a lot at bedtime. But Goldie really isn't like that. They're all about 5 months old now.

Thank you, everyone, who gave suggestions and advice! It's been very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom