Hen not wanting to be with other three hens in the coop at night

Thanks for your suggestions to deal with this issue. Here's an update.
I tried putting Goldie IEaster Egger variety) back into the coop with a new wifi camera installed, so I could see what was going on with the doors closed. CG (Cinnamon Girl - New Hampshire Red crossed with Leghorn) always goes in the roost first to take the top roosting bar before the other hens come in and boot her off.
When Goldie went in there, CG was loudly squawking and booted Goldie off the roosting bars each time. Goldie didn't peck back and was cowering on the floor and I let her out. Goldie is so gentle and is the only one that hasn't pecked any hen.

I think I'm going to put CG in a cage away from the hens for a week and see how it affects the pecking order. When CG has been tormenting Goldie, I've tried holding CG for a long period of time, and Goldie was noticeably more relaxed with the other two hens. After that, CG went away from the others for a while before joining them later. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.

We had a bully hen like that. She was a member of the EE flock that was a year older than the Black Australorp hens we were trying to integrate. Everyone was getting along fine during the day, and there was plenty of room for everybody on the roosts. But at roosting time this one hen would put herself at the end of the row of EEs and refuse to let any of the BAs roost next to her or ANYWHERE on the roost, although, as I said, there was more than enough room for ALL the BAs.

So we put her in bully jail for three nights. This was a dog cage on the floor. No need for food and water, as we released her in the morning with all the others. On the fourth night we watched to see what she would do. And she bullied again. So back in the cage she went. I think it took nine nights total before she gave up her evil ways. By that time the BA had gained confidence and found their spots on the roost, AND the #2 hen had taken her position between the two groups. She had lost her spot as top hen.

Good luck!

We had a bully hen like that. She was a member of the EE flock that was a year older than the Black Australorp hens we were trying to integrate. Everyone was getting along fine during the day, and there was plenty of room for everybody on the roosts. But at roosting time this one hen would put herself at the end of the row of EEs and refuse to let any of the BAs roost next to her or ANYWHERE on the roost, although, as I said, there was more than enough room for ALL the BAs.

So we put her in bully jail for three nights. This was a dog cage on the floor. No need for food and water, as we released her in the morning with all the others. On the fourth night we watched to see what she would do. And she bullied again. So back in the cage she went. I think it took nine nights total before she gave up her evil ways. By that time the BA had gained confidence and found their spots on the roost, AND the #2 hen had taken her position between the two groups. She had lost her spot as top hen.

Good luck!
Thank you, BigBlueHen53 for this! :thumbsup It's encouraging to know your bully hen learned her lesson. Did you separate the bully hen in the roost, or away from the others so she could not see them at night? Thanks!!

Thank you, BigBlueHen53 for this! :thumbsup It's encouraging to know your bully hen learned her lesson. Did you separate the bully hen in the roost, or away from the others so she could not see them at night? Thanks!!
You're very welcome! The dog crate she was in was on the floor of the coop, which is an 8x10 walk-in building. I definitely wanted her in sight of the other birds. Does your coop have room for something like this?

Perhaps your girl is sitting on top of the basement door in the morning waiting for her rooster friend. She may still be in morning to some degree.
IMHO. She needs to not have access to the basement or top of the basement door.
Have you considered getting her a new friend, a hen about her age that kind of looks like her rooster friend. She may also be lonely if the other three hens are not friendly to her. I truly hope this all works out for everybody. :hugs
@BigBlueHen53 's idea is a really great one as well and may be easier to do

You're very welcome! The dog crate she was in was on the floor of the coop, which is an 8x10 walk-in building. I definitely wanted her in sight of the other birds. Does your coop have room for something like this?

Thanks. Yes, we have a dog crate that we could in with the hens in the roosting area, but there wouldn't be much room. It's 5 x 5 x 4 feet high in there. There's the long run underneath but that is separate and she wouldn't see the other birds.

Last edited:
Perhaps your girl is sitting on top of the basement door in the morning waiting for her rooster friend. She may still be in morning to some degree.
Have you considered getting her a new friend, a hen about her age that kind of looks like her rooster friend. She may also be lonely if the other three hens are not friendly to her. I truly hope this all works out for everybody. :hugs
Thanks for your reply, Ursuliine Chick. I have been wondering about her missing her rooster friend.
It's a good idea to get another hen similar to the rooster that is her age.

Tonight I will be separating CG from the others so Goldie can have a chance of being with the other two - and see how that goes.

Thanks, @Ursuline Chick! Coming from you, I consider this high praise!

Hi, Here's an update. Yesterday, after I put the bully hen CG in the run under the coop, Goldie still wouldn't go in the coop with the two other hens. So I picked her up and put her in the coop - she was really upset and her comb went red. I observed when she was in there and saw the other hen was pecking her and Goldie just cowering on the floor trying to get out. So the first night didn't work. :(
Not sure what to do next? I'm thinking of just leaving Goldie to decide for herself tonight, and leave her in the backyard this night. When we had the roosters who wouldn't go in, they stayed in the backyard overnight and they would roost on top of the roost outside. They were okay. But if Goldie still doesn't want to go in the roost tonight, I'm wondering whether to put the other two hens (that usually stay in the roost at night) in a cage in the roost area - and put Goldie in the roost. I don't know if this would change the pecking order.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom