Hen-on-nest dishes

saltandpepper

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
oh wow! what a nice collection and so nicely displayed. now i'll be on the lookout for those dishes.

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
Quote:Wow, that IS cute! I may have to swing by a Macys today....only an hour away.
were they in stock where you live? I got the book on valuing hen on nests, its very good. Wish I had it before I bought an overpriced knockoff on Ebay...but its pretty anyway!

Yeah - they had 3 in stock. I couldn't resist.

annaraven

Born this way
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
SillyCon Valley
Well, I actually use my teapots.

ETA: I don't like dust-collectors either. So I only buy stuff I'm going to use.

Last edited:

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
I just started eyeing those hens on nest dishes! I prefer the smaller ones, or salt dish ones. I have A LOT of chicken stuff in my corner cupboard, so I gotta think small

But when I was down in Fredricksburg last year or so I saw a really pretty sky blue one - about 6 inches long, very pretty and they only wanted $12 for it, so I get it home and start to wash it under some very warm water to get the dust off, and the tail snapped off! I was so dissapointed.....it was a clean break like there some weakness in the glass. darn I glued it back on, but it's just not the same

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
13 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
Thinking about putting them in the BYC auction and you two can have a go at it! Heh, heh! I have to dig them out of packing box, lay them out and take a picture of them. I THINK there are ten of them. I paid somewhere between five to ten dollars each for those salt hens and I bet I overpaid those things. I do not see any maker's mark on them, so it could be from China where it would be mass produced. I know I got two dark blue or colbalt blue ones, I think one black, one slag?........ I know I will take a monetary loss on them but it would make me very happy if someone give them a good home to be displayed.

As soon as I can, I'll do an inventory of them. I think there is ONE big hen which I am guessing it is a stick butter or candy jar hen. It can fit probably a stick of butter but I can take a pic with a stick of butter next to it.

Last edited:

Coopa Cabana

My Coop Runneth Over . . .
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
Quote:If you have any white milk glass hens - one way to tell if they are old or not is to hold them up to the light (like to a light bulb) - in the older ones, you will see a "fire" color. Newer milk glass will just be white when held to a light.

Top Bottom