Hen-on-nest dishes

Quote:
Wow, that IS cute! I may have to swing by a Macys today....only an hour away.
big_smile.png
were they in stock where you live? I got the book on valuing hen on nests, its very good. Wish I had it before I bought an overpriced knockoff on Ebay...but its pretty anyway!

Yeah - they had 3 in stock. I couldn't resist.

I just started eyeing those hens on nest dishes! I prefer the smaller ones, or salt dish ones. I have A LOT of chicken stuff in my corner cupboard, so I gotta think small
big_smile.png

But when I was down in Fredricksburg last year or so I saw a really pretty sky blue one - about 6 inches long, very pretty and they only wanted $12 for it, so I get it home and start to wash it under some very warm water to get the dust off, and the tail snapped off! I was so dissapointed.....it was a clean break like there some weakness in the glass. darn I glued it back on, but it's just not the same
sad.png

Thinking about putting them in the BYC auction and you two can have a go at it! Heh, heh! I have to dig them out of packing box, lay them out and take a picture of them. I THINK there are ten of them. I paid somewhere between five to ten dollars each for those salt hens and I bet I overpaid those things. I do not see any maker's mark on them, so it could be from China where it would be mass produced. I know I got two dark blue or colbalt blue ones, I think one black, one slag?........ I know I will take a monetary loss on them but it would make me very happy if someone give them a good home to be displayed.

As soon as I can, I'll do an inventory of them. I think there is ONE big hen which I am guessing it is a stick butter or candy jar hen. It can fit probably a stick of butter but I can take a pic with a stick of butter next to it.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you have any white milk glass hens - one way to tell if they are old or not is to hold them up to the light (like to a light bulb) - in the older ones, you will see a "fire" color. Newer milk glass will just be white when held to a light.

Back
Top Bottom