Hen or Drake?

WEll, he/ she...
smile.png
says a low "quackwackwackwackwack" whenever someone comes in to the barn, and in the morning he/she flies a lap
around the barn, buzzing by my head on the way....never heard him make another noise besides the soft continual quacking. The breeder told me that he was trying to breed for more bicolor in the feet (green and orange). He referred to the duck as a "he" but I don't imagine he would know for sure, unless ducklings are easier to sex than other birds? I'd really like to know because we'd like to get the duck some companions, I'm hoping it's a hen because then I could get some more hens, I really don't want babies.

If it says "QUACK" it's a hen. If it's low and kind of raspy... it's a drake. Sounds to me like you described a drake.

Also... looks like a Black East Indie to me. Pretty little guy!

ETA: The breeder would have known the sex. I suspect he wouldn't have given away a hen. That's all assuming though.

Last edited:
i was under the impression (thru reading about ducklings and call ducks) that the hen has a lower vocal tone than the drake...
idunno.gif

i have 6 calls that i hatched out ( one black with a white bib, 3 mallard colored ones (in assorted shades), 1 solid gray with brown outlines on the feathers, and 1 gray with a white ring around the neck. during their growth (2 hatched out at each setting), 1 has always had a low sounding pitch while the other has sounded like a high pitched shrill whistle.....so i always thought "1 drake and 1 hen"

but i'm a novice here and this is the 1st time i've hatched ducks

don

i was under the impression (thru reading about ducklings and call ducks) that the hen has a lower vocal tone than the drake...
idunno.gif

i have 6 calls that i hatched out ( one black with a white bib, 3 mallard colored ones (in assorted shades), 1 solid gray with brown outlines on the feathers, and 1 gray with a white ring around the neck. during their growth (2 hatched out at each setting), 1 has always had a low sounding pitch while the other has sounded like a high pitched shrill whistle.....so i always thought "1 drake and 1 hen"

but i'm a novice here and this is the 1st time i've hatched ducks

don
Not sure about calls but most ducks the female has high pitched quack boys low and raspy totally different in geese, ganders loud females quieter.

Thanks, I think he's beautiful, I've always wanted a black duck. He said he gave him away cause he was his last one (this appeared to be true) and he didn't want to take him home with just him.

This is confusing.
big_smile.png

Ours is low pitched, sort of raspy but a definite "quackquack". But I researched Call ducks a bit, and it said the hen is more vocal, especially when excited. Which, he always is, in the morning when I come in for feeding time, and in the afternoon when I come in with treats or fresh water. If it's a drake, would he develop more tail curl later? Do drakes of all breeds develop the tail curl?
And this was just a small breeder, he said he only had seven birds that he used for breeding. I mean, I guess that's small, idk. Do you sex ducklings the same way you do chicks?

In wild mallards, I know the hen quacks, the drake whistles. And aren't Call ducks developed from Mallards? But wild mallard hens are very loud, and their quacking almost sounds like laughing...QUACK quackquackquack...

In wild mallards, I know the hen quacks, the drake whistles. And aren't Call ducks developed from Mallards? But wild mallard hens are very loud, and their quacking almost sounds like laughing...QUACK quackquackquack...
All domesticated drakes get the curled tail feather only the Muscovys don't.

Back
Top Bottom