1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Roo and what age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCchicken, Dec 22, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    I have had this chicken since August and have yet to see an egg. I do believe she is a hen, just want to make sure. Also, I know the pictures are from far away but could you possibly judge age? I was told she is an EE. She definitly has the fluffs on her cheecks. Thoughts and opinions are much appreciated:) Sorry that the pictures aren't that great. "she" is a bit camera shy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    not sure of the breed but its a hen about a year old.

3. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Oh good, I thought she was a hen too but wanted some other opinions. Thanks Heather!

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I am almost sure [​IMG] that she's a hen too. I have a roo that matches her! I hopw someone comes on with a breed name. Terri O

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Hen.

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Are her legs green? If so then she is an EE. If she is solid black and has slate legs then it is possible that she is an Ameraucana. It's hard to tell in the pics but it looks like they are green.

7. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Her legs are green, at least most of the leg, her feet are yellow but yes, they are green. Thanks for that info!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She's an Easter Egger. [​IMG]

Quite rare to find an EE with solid black coloring. . .

9. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Ooh fun. I'm glad she is an ee!! Hmm now if only she will prove it and lay me an egg already!! Lol. Her coloring is very pretty. She is all black and in the sunlight the feathers look iridescent. I also noticed just today that her face and comb have become bright reddish pink. Is that a sign that she might lay soon?

10. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Quote:Oh, really?

I'm a relative newbie to chicken raisin' (just 2 years), but my green legged EE roo had his way with my barred rock hen, and the result was one EE with solid black coloring and one EE that is almost solid black, but has some silver highlights to her. Both of these gals lay the same light brown colored egg as their mother.

In a second hatching later, the two had a boy -- and he looks mostly like his barred rock mother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by