Hen or roo? Buff Orpington and Black Australorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FeistyFrau, May 22, 2012.

1. FeistyFrau

FeistyFrau Hatching

Apr 22, 2012
    It's time to play GUESS THE GENDER! :)

So, five chicks all came to us vent-sexed with the assumption we were getting girls. This is my first time with chickens, so I am easier to put one over on, but I have had my doubts about two of our "ladies" since they started growing red combs and wattles at 8 weeks. They were all hatched around late February. "Thelma/Thaddeus" is our biggest buff orp, has huge legs, loves to play rooster fights, and has what looks like saddle feathers to me. "Molly/Mo" the black australorp has an equally lovely time playing rooster fights, with comb and wattles nicely developed. This one is more petite but I think that's in part because of the breed. Opinions?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    definetly roosters especially since the tails are curbed at the top

3. kearstin17

kearstin17 Chirping

Apr 28, 2012
    Grand junction
    Both roo's

4. FeistyFrau

FeistyFrau Hatching

Apr 22, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Shoot. Now we have to eat them. They are the nicest roosters around! The Buff Orpington sits on laps. Guess I shouldn't have gotten so attached! [​IMG]

5. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chirping

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    lol i live in the city and i have two roosters i purcased knowingly! and my neighbors have not complained about the crowing YET! and i bought me a partridge rock and a blue cochin which were suppose to be hens, but they are roosters and ima eat them when they older lol because i dont need anymore roosters.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. ChickenLover WI

ChickenLover WI Chirping

Apr 5, 2012
    Willow Creek Farms
    Yes both Roo's

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: