Hen or roo? Buff Orpington and Black Australorp

FeistyFrau

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
It's time to play GUESS THE GENDER! :)

So, five chicks all came to us vent-sexed with the assumption we were getting girls. This is my first time with chickens, so I am easier to put one over on, but I have had my doubts about two of our "ladies" since they started growing red combs and wattles at 8 weeks. They were all hatched around late February. "Thelma/Thaddeus" is our biggest buff orp, has huge legs, loves to play rooster fights, and has what looks like saddle feathers to me. "Molly/Mo" the black australorp has an equally lovely time playing rooster fights, with comb and wattles nicely developed. This one is more petite but I think that's in part because of the breed. Opinions?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I thought. Shoot. Now we have to eat them. They are the nicest roosters around! The Buff Orpington sits on laps. Guess I shouldn't have gotten so attached!
roll.png

lol i live in the city and i have two roosters i purcased knowingly! and my neighbors have not complained about the crowing YET! and i bought me a partridge rock and a blue cochin which were suppose to be hens, but they are roosters and ima eat them when they older lol because i dont need anymore roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom