1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen or roo marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by i<3mych1ckens, Dec 19, 2011.

1. i<3mych1ckens

i<3mych1ckens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Hello All!
    I have five chickens:
    Ginny (Blue Laced Red Wyndotte)
    Gidget (Hamburg)
    Gertie (Black Copper Marans)
    Gwen (Barred Rock)
    Gigi (Silkie Bantam)

This is my first ever flock. I love my girls, but the problem is...I'm not entirely sure they're all girls. I can't have roos where I live and I've been having more than a sneaking suspicious for some time that Gertrude may be a--err, Gerald? I have a happy home I can bring him to if that be the case, but he is so sweet I really don't want to part with her/him unless I'm 100% sure. he will let me hold her/him, and never crows. The only roosterly sign of temperment I've noticed is Gertie is a bit protective of her food around the other hens. It might also be important to mention he is about 16 weeks old.

The neck and head feathers are almost all red (the rest is black) and he has a double waddle. he also towers over all the other chickens, even Gwen who is a month older.

I was trying to post a picture, but it says new members can't post pictures...

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    How old is he/she?
    This is my blue copper boy, at 7 wks
    [​IMG]

3. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania
    to post a picture you need to post 10 times....After that you can use the uploads to help you. I think the only way anybody will be able to tell you the genders of your chickens is by looking at pics. [​IMG]
    -Roxy

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    You have to have 10 posts to post pictures. I recommend dropping by the "new member area", "other pets", and "where am I? where are you?" to get to those 10 posts. It'll be quicker than you realize [​IMG]

It's really not a good idea to try to sex a chicken based on size especially when comparing to different breeds. Go say hi in a couple places and you'll be ready for pictures in no time [​IMG]

One thing you can look for in the meantime is pointy feathers at the base of the tail and base of the neck. At 16 weeks a rooster would have these coming in pretty obviously. Browse through the "breed or gender" section here to look at pictures of roosters vs hens - there are a lot of resources at your fingertips.

[​IMG] and enjoy your GIRLS! [​IMG]

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you can send me some pics and i can post them for you or you can post hi 10 times or you can reply to everyones post here induvidually

6. i<3mych1ckens

Dec 19, 2011
    Goodness! You guys are so quick to reply. I love it. Thanks for letting me know about the ten posts rule. I'm working on it. Then I'll post a picture of Gertie.

7. i<3mych1ckens

Dec 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

The black one with the pronounced comb is Gertie. If you can't see well enough I'll try to take a better picture tonight.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    do need a better pic...does it have a white earlob?

9. i<3mych1ckens

Dec 19, 2011
    No. his ears are black. I think they just reflected the flash. he is somewhere around four months old. I just took a new one:
    [​IMG]

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    100% roo. But the coloring is not normal for a BCM roo, it's BCM hen color. But that's a boy for sure. Roos should have deep rich red wings and copper saddle feathers as well as hackles. He's still pretty, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by