Hen or Roo? or is it too early to tell?

Thanks Donrae...

Okay...trying to remember/learn the genetics here...
I get the gold/red over the white....that's the red sexlink which creates white/pale yellow male chicks and the gold based/red females.

And I can understand a barred roo over non-barred hen gives the males the white dot (barring) and the females remain all black.

Question....what causes the typical Black Sex link where the males are barred and females are black with red bleed through. I thought you had to have a gold tone on the roo's side and a barred on the hen's side. Am I correct?

My error would be considering the Black Copper Maran a gold toned bird? It is considered non-barred? and thus over a barred hen to produce the white dotted (barred) males and the black females which would have no red bleed through?

Thanks. Just trying to learn better genetics (and keep it straight in an aging head).

Lady of McCamley
Hatchery black sex links are a red rooster over barred rock hens, that gives them the red bleed through, from just a touch of red at the throat to the entire neck and chest. You're right there. The males hatch with the white headspot, that is a genetic indicator that the bird is barred. Those males feather out barred. The females hatch with a solid black head (often a white belly) and feather out black with the red throat/chest.

However, any non-barred rooster (pretty much) over a barred hen will give sex link offspring. I've seen offspring of a buff Orpington roo over BR hens and the hens are gorgeous! They're a gold color in front, speckling kind of to black on the back end, just really pretty birds. This female might wind up solid black, or with some copper on the collar, I'm not educated enough to know. I just know she didn't have a white head spot, thus she doesn't have the barring gene, thus from those parents she's female.

Have you seen that massive thread on sex link breeding in the breeds/genetics section? He did a great chart showing all the sex link crosses, pics of chicks, etc. My genetics knowledge is pretty superficial, I don't know the genetic names of the colors and stuff, but even I can understand it. It may be a page or two back, it gets buried sometime. I think the username of the OP is tadkerson, if you want to search for it. Great info!

Last edited:
Yes BCM = Black Copper Marans.

Like others, I've also been thinking that the black/white spot chick is a Roo and the all black is a pullet.

I'll post pictures of them all later today, I think they are sitting at around 28 days (will need to check my chicken calendar :)

Here's the latest pictures of our six chicks.... at 30 days old:
The all yellow one.- no comb started.

The all black one, that we think is a pullet.

The black with a white spot, we think Roo.

The red one, no comb yet.

The white one, comb started.

The yellow one with an orange face. No comb.

Hope everyone is having as much fun with their new chicks as I am... I enjoy taking pictures and watching how they change each week.

Here's the latest pictures of our six chicks.... at 30 days old:
The all yellow one.- no comb started. (This one looks like a pullet to me so far)

The all black one, that we think is a pullet. (I agree, pullet)

The black with a white spot, we think Roo. (Rooster for sure)

The red one, no comb yet. (Looks like a pullet so far)

The white one, comb started. (I think his one is a rooster)

The yellow one with an orange face. No comb. (Looks like a pullet so far)

Hope everyone is having as much fun with their new chicks as I am... I enjoy taking pictures and watching how they change each week.

Here we go again... here's the chicks at 6 weeks of age:

Yellow chick - Are those Saddle feathers I see? Does this look like a rooster to you??
I like this one's hairdo.

Black - Pullet

Black with White Spot - Nice red comb and saddle feathers? - Rooster.

Red - What do you think? Are those saddle feathers or just part of her/his wing feathers?

White - Do I see saddle feathers? Rooster?

Yellow with Orange face - Saddle feathers in the right picture? What does everyone think?

I hope I have more hens than roosters, cause I can't keep more roosters. I have 2 coops and each has it's own rooster. Let me know what you think... hens vs. roosters. Thanks!!

Here we go again... here's the chicks at 6 weeks of age:

Yellow chick - Are those Saddle feathers I see? Does this look like a rooster to you??
I like this one's hairdo.
The comb looks rather red, so for now I'm going to say male. The coloring also seems to be patchy (darker near the wings), which is also indicative of a cockerel. Still, he might just be an early-maturing pullet.

Black - Pullet
She's a pullet. I see no roosterish traits.

Black with White Spot - Nice red comb and saddle feathers? - Rooster.
Yes, he's a cockerel.

Red - What do you think? Are those saddle feathers or just part of her/his wing feathers?
I think that this bird is a male. The comb is getting larger and redder, and there are some reddish-orange feathers in the wings. Red or orange in the wing often means male.

White - Do I see saddle feathers? Rooster?
I'm not sure on this one. The comb isn't that large and red yet. For now, I'm going to say pullet.

Yellow with Orange face - Saddle feathers in the right picture? What does everyone think?
He's a rooster. Not only does he have a large red comb, but the legs are really thick!

I hope I have more hens than roosters, cause I can't keep more roosters. I have 2 coops and each has it's own rooster. Let me know what you think... hens vs. roosters. Thanks!!

Here's the latest pictures I have of my chicks that I took last week, in these pictures they are 9 weeks old:

I'm pretty sure that this one is a pullet. Very little comb showing and what is there is almost black in color.

This was the black chick with the white spot on it's head. I believe this one is a rooster.

Rooster? Are those saddle feathers near the tail?

I'm pretty sure that this one is a pullet. However I will never know for sure. She just up and died one day, my husband found her laying next to the door we enter the coop from. He said she looked like she sat down to take a nap and never got up.

I would like to think this one is a pullet... but I think it's a roo.

Pretty sure rooster.

Does everyone agree with Pullet vs. Rooster on each?

:)

Here's the latest pictures I have of my chicks that I took last week, in these pictures they are 9 weeks old:

I agree, pullet.

Looks like a cockerel.

Rooster for sure. Pretty bird!

I agree, pullet. Sorry she died!

I think rooster. The comb and wattles are large and red, and there are some darker feathers in the wings.

Yes, he's a cockerel.
Does everyone agree with Pullet vs. Rooster on each?

:)

I agree with what has been said to pullets and roos.

I only wanted to add that the determination was based on comb size at the age and some coloration not on saddle feathers.

Roosters don't get saddle feathers until much later...not until at least 12 weeks or more...often not until 4 months.

Usually the best indicator is the comb size and redness of the comb at early age. But I've learned to never be too quick to determine sex. Early developing females can fool you.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom