Hen or Roo??

JenWyatt

In the Brooder
May 4, 2017
Idaho
We have two chickens. They are about 6-7 weeks old now. I'm worried our sweet speckled sussex Maple, is a rooster. I can't have one in city limits, so I am getting kind of sad. Because Maple is so sweet and my girls love her,(or him) as do I. Izzy I am positive is a hen....maybe you all can help? TIA :)

Attachments

• 20170528_110721.jpg
    20170528_110721.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170528_110437.jpg
    20170528_110437.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi there!
Are these two pictures both of Maple?
Or is one of Izzy?

Your Maple is Marvin.

Sorry. No doubt about it. That much comb at 6 to 7 weeks is rooster. Also, he is exhibiting the whiter male pattern of the SS.

And please, do re-home him. (Thankfully in your home situation you are required to). With sweet little girls around, when his hormones hit there is no guarantee he will remain sweet, and roosters and children generally do not mix.

Speckled Sussex are a nice breed, so chances are an ad to Craigslist will bring someone who will want him. Don't try to get money for him. Roos, unless really rare breeds, are best re-homed free.

LofMc

Not sure if it is a roo, is he trying to crow? but if he is a roo I suggest seeing if there is a place that will take him and rehome him for you. Because if you say free on Craigslist you could be sending him to a frying pan or at the worst a cock fighting ring. I would not say thankful that they are forced to rehome if it is a rooster don't know why dogs and cats can be just as bad in the noise department and we are not forced to rehome them. there are lots of roosters raised from chicks that love kids while it's not a guarantee like one person said no one needs to be trying to put the owner off specially in a sad position they are in already.

I'm sorry...there is not doubt this is a rooster...and with inexperienced chicken owners, it is best to re-home when there are children who want the chickens as pets.

Far too many children have been seriously injured from roosters spurring them.

My desire is to protect inexperienced owners from a sadder misfortune than re-homing a beloved pet. Roosters are not domesticated like cats and dogs (which yes, can also be problematic, most dogs end up in the humane society for having bitten a child).

A few questions to anyone seeking the bird will weed out undesirables. I've pleasantly re-homed a number of birds through Craisgslist (as well as chicken forums in my area).

I would be remiss not to inform a new owner of the risks to their children.
LofMc

Sorry i disagree is not always best to rehome if you allowed to keep roosters just because there is a 50/50 chance. Not all roosters are the same.And the those that are good at running cock fighting rings more then likely know how to give the best answers in order to get the rooster. Also I don't know if the op is new to owning chickens or just new to having chicks and sexing then. While I get where your coming from there is no need to put a owner off or suggest Craigslist before trying to find a rooster rescue as I'm sure loads of cock fighting rings look on there and yes horrible ppl can give really good answers.

Another thought too...you can also see if the place you purchased the chicks will take the rooster back. Most feed stores will.

I would then recommend getting another bird to keep your hen company. I can especially recommend bantam Cochins as very pleasant companions for children. They also telecast very early as to sex...males will get large red combs by 6 to 8 weeks.

Most Bantam Cochins, or Pekins, are lovable mops, and purchasing several pullets together should bring a delightful addition to your little flock of pets.

LofMc

Roosters can be gentle for sure sorry you can't keep him

I don't get why roosters is so horrible in cities I mean how about limit one? Sure they crow but at night you can't hear them inside and it's not THAT often they crow I'm sure a barking dog or screaming kids are just as loud lol

Old debate though right?

My Roo crows when one of us comes driving up home its like he's welcoming us back and letting the rest of us that someone's back home

Back
Top Bottom