Hen or roo??

redneck farmer

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
in the swamp killin hawgs
Look hen or roo
[/IMG]

How old is it? If once fully feathered that bump starts turning red, while the others don't. Then it is a male...but an orange set of bumps is indicative of a female once fully feathered. Don't know if that counts before being fully feathered. I have only dealt with fully feathered chicks first hand, but I know once they have feathers then the males will have red comb bumps, while the females have orange or peach colored bumps...just having the bumps is normal for both males and females, but it seems to me that males would be more likely to get their bumps first...but I would wait for it to get some color or not. Males combs start turning red around 2 months or so, and female combs don't start turning until they are about to start laying.

How old is it? If once fully feathered that bump starts turning red, while the others don't. Then it is a male...but an orange set of bumps is indicative of a female once fully feathered. Don't know if that counts before being fully feathered. I have only dealt with fully feathered chicks first hand, but I know once they have feathers then the males will have red comb bumps, while the females have orange or peach colored bumps...just having the bumps is normal for both males and females, but it seems to me that males would be more likely to get their bumps first...but I would wait for it to get some color or not. Males combs start turning red around 2 months or so, and female combs don't start turning until they are about to start laying.

How long does it take for chicks to be fully feathered? Mine are 4 weeks and have most of their feathers still some fuzz around the face and neck. But I do have one chick that has a peach colored comb like that. Also the start of wattles. I believe she may be a he. First one out of the crate when I open the door, always picking on the others, she does this chest bump thing with a few other chicks. At first I thought they were just playing, but now not so much lol. Still hoping tho.

Deb

Y I think it's a roo is cause it's bump is sooooooo much bigger than the others an the chicken itself is soooo much bigger than the others... I only have two chicks that don't have that bump yet but they r all the same age so that's y it could be a roo but I'm hopeing for some hens!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom