Hen or Roo?

vonniefisher

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2015
merriam, ks
I am new to raising chickens and I got 4 birds in March. I have 2 rhode island reds and 2 easter eggers. I have already found out that one of my reds is a rooster. My city doesn't allow me to have roosters; luckily I have found him a home. But now I am questioning if one of my easter eggers is a rooster. He/she has no wattles but the comb is what has me questioning if it's a rooster. I certainly hope that I didn't get 4 birds and ended up with 2 roosters - that would suck :) I have attached a picture and would appreciate any thoughts. He/she is about 7 weeks old. Thanks !!

If it wasn't for the three rowed pea comb I would say pullet but it looks like a roo comb. I would get a second opinion before making any decisions though :).

Looking like a cockerel. Bearded birds don't develop wattles the same as non-bearded birds, so the lack of wattle growth is not something you can use on these guys. Can you get a shot of him in a natural, standing position that shows the entire bird from the side?

OMG!! I only have 4 birds and now 2 of them are roosters.....:-( any ideas on finding a new home? My city won't let me have a rooster.

1. I found a home for your Roos.
  2. droolin.gif
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Stuff with onion and rosemary. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish or roasting dish.
  5. Roast in the preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of the bird.

1. I found a home for your Roos.
  2. droolin.gif
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Stuff with onion and rosemary. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish or roasting dish.
  5. Roast in the preheated oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of the bird.
But they tend to start crowing before they are big enough to butcher.

or make friends with people outside of city limits, we did a cooperative style farm as a friend had agri property but wasn't doing anything but renting her pasture out since she put her horse down. this has worked well as we all share the work and contribute animals to the farm we are doing to help our families

Back
Top Bottom