Hen or rooster buff orpington

peeber

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 20, 2016
My chicks are 13 weeks old and I'm starting to wonder if one of my Buff Orpingtons is a rooster. Just looks quite a bit different than the other, although I've read that isn't a great indicator at this age. These are my first chicks and so far things are going well. Just curious if anyone has an opinion. I know if she starts to crow that will be a definitive answer - or at least I think so. Thanks

Busia77

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2016
Wisconsin
My BOs are 12 weeks, all roos, and their combs and wattles are HUGE compared to yours.

Last edited:

BantamFan4Life

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO.
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Pyeongtaek, South Korea
My chicks are 13 weeks old and I'm starting to wonder if one of my Buff Orpingtons is a rooster. Just looks quite a bit different than the other, although I've read that isn't a great indicator at this age. These are my first chicks and so far things are going well. Just curious if anyone has an opinion. I know if she starts to crow that will be a definitive answer - or at least I think so. Thanks
Look like pullets to me.

peeber

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 20, 2016

Thanks for your input. Maybe these photos will help. It's hard to get a decent side picture of the busy girls!

peeber

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 20, 2016
Definitely see the difference between yours and mine. Was just curious because my two are so different. I'll know for sure eventually. thank you!

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom