Hen or rooster ???

Jessie1785

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2015
This is my orpington . She / heis4-5 months old not laying. The feathers are light and fluffy a lot different from my other orp. Who is around the same age and laying. Pls help! Is it a hen or a roo??

if she's 4-5mos and not crowing but not laying, she's probably a she but just not ready to lay yet. I don't know much about that particular breed, but I don't see anything that screams rooster to me

I bought her around the 13 of aug. The person said she was around 4 months old then. So I would guess closer to 5 months now. The feathers on the neck and back don't seem to be pointed they are more round. She does act similar to my hen in the stance I just find her different with the feather as if she were younger but the comb is as if she were older? If that makes sense. Nothing has really changed since I bought. Her. Could she be a mix?idont know. He legs I find thicker thank my other hen though. My other chicken is so plump and pretty this one is different for an apparent orp.

My big chicks will be 5mos this Friday. Only 1 of mine is laying. My rooster (same age) has been crowing for months, he started at 2mos. I would give it time for laying. Not all start at the same time.

If nothing has really changed in a month, meaning it had that much comb at 4 months, it's a cockerel. Orpingtons can be slower to mature, and I'd guess he's a touch younger than 5 months now.

Back
Top Bottom