Hen or Rooster?

Hey, you may like Mr. Wilcox's crow! My Harvey sounds like a squirrel being strangled when he crows, but his son, Jethro has a beautiful sounding crow. And most roosters crow in the mornings and a few other times during the day, not all the time! Roosters need time to "grow up" and learn some manners. Given time most usually do. They will "call" the hens when they find some tidbits and let the girls have them. They will do the little circle dance before "having their way" with a hen, but they usually don't develop that until over a year old. Before that they may chase, grab and mount! With time that will stop and the hens will have a choice. They will make an "alarm" call when they see a hawk or sense danger the hens will either run or stand like statues! A good rooster will pretty much ignore you unless you offer treats! Don't keep a mean rooster, ever! Why did you choose Mr. Wilcox? I was born a Wilcox! The Wilcox's had a family farm in first in Vina and then Gridley, California called "Deseret Farms" for many generations. My family on Dad's side were professional farmers. . . .On my Mom's side, just poor farmers!! My husband goes to sleep when I talk to him as well! Where are you located? :hugs
I'm in Vegas. We don't have too many farms here. It's pretty hard to rehome a rooster. We do have cock fighting rings that get busted up every year or so. Sometimes the pound has 20+ roosters to try and find homes for. This guy was listed as "Confiscated". I got the Wilcox name from the movie, Howard's End. I have two chiweenies that are named Meg and Helen (two other characters). My grandparents were chicken farmers for just a few years in the 1950's in Lancaster, CA. They bought a farm and absolutely hated it. From that point on, my father would not eat an egg or a chicken. He despised those birds! He would turn over in his grave if he knew how much I adore mine. I think being a farmer must be very challenging but also gratifying. I love the idea of being outside most of the day. Feels right.

Noooooooo! Mrs. Peepers is Mr. Peepers? I should have gone with my gut. He is so pretty too! Any chance that he will not crow? I am zoned for chickens but I know my neighbors will not tolerate the noise of a rooster. Do the collars work well? Hmmmmm....what to do?
If you're zoned for chickens, then there's not a whole lot your neighbors can do, except be nasty ... and a few free eggs or an egg-based treat now and again should go a long way towards soothing that issue!
Personally, I love my boys! As sweet as my ladies can be ... it's the fellows who are the most entertaining!

If you're zoned for chickens, then there's not a whole lot your neighbors can do, except be nasty ... and a few free eggs or an egg-based treat now and again should go a long way towards soothing that issue!
Personally, I love my boys! As sweet as my ladies can be ... it's the fellows who are the most entertaining!
I have learned so much today. I always thought there was one rooster per farm. Are they all allowed to mate or just the boss rooster? Can't believe I have one.

If you’re allowed to have a rooster and your neighbors are jerks anyway then go for it. Got nothing to lose at this point. Maybe they’ll take 2 years to pay their water bill ;)

Will it cause trouble with my neighbors? Sure. Have they ever paid their water bill on time? No.
Does it take them a year and a half to pay their water bill? Yes. Feels like payback time.
Are you the water bill collector? :gig

This guy was listed as "Confiscated".
From a cockfighting scenario?
Do they generally re-home those birds?

Best of luck with your new boy.

I'm in Vegas. We don't have too many farms here. It's pretty hard to rehome a rooster. We do have cock fighting rings that get busted up every year or so. Sometimes the pound has 20+ roosters to try and find homes for. This guy was listed as "Confiscated". I got the Wilcox name from the movie, Howard's End. I have two chiweenies that are named Meg and Helen (two other characters). My grandparents were chicken farmers for just a few years in the 1950's in Lancaster, CA. They bought a farm and absolutely hated it. From that point on, my father would not eat an egg or a chicken. He despised those birds! He would turn over in his grave if he knew how much I adore mine. I think being a farmer must be very challenging but also gratifying. I love the idea of being outside most of the day. Feels right.

How interesting! You parents didn't like farming, my Dad didn't either! The rest of the family loved it and continued. I couldn't wait to get a farm! I named many of my chickens from the old movie "Harvey" with jimmy stewart. My rooster is Harvey, I have hens named Myrtle Mae and Vita Louise from movie characters as well! My newest chickens I'm naming after my family, Lucille (Mom), Virden or Bill (Dad) and Barbara Ann (sister)! You say you love the "idea" of being outside most of the day, but I'm sure it's very hot there and being outside in the heat is difficult. I am "working" outside for about 4 hours a day and it's very hot here too. Over 100 degrees. Chickens need food and water, coop needs cleaning, the garden needs watering, etc. One must go out and do it! I sweat quite a bit, but things are taken care of! Nice to meet you. Keep us posted on Mr. Wilcox!! :hugs

If you’re allowed to have a rooster and your neighbors are jerks anyway then go for it. Got nothing to lose at this point. Maybe they’ll take 2 years to pay their water bill ;)
Are you the water bill collector? :gig

From a cockfighting scenario?
Do they generally re-home those birds?

Best of luck with your new boy.
Greetings! There are three of us on one well. One of the neighbors does pay but only after months and months of us requesting payment....last time they paid, after 18 months, they owed us a whopping 3700.00 (there was a repair as well as electric). So, you can see why they drag their feet. The other neighbor hasn't paid in 4 years! Our problem is that the original owners of the houses (the ones we had a well agreement with) are gone. And the new owners don't want to sign a well agreement. So, the agreement is currently that we pay the bills and loathe our neighbors (yeah, no cookies are exchanged during the holidays).
My worry about Mr. Wilcox and his vocal skills have more to do with the surrounding neighborhood. When we moved to our property 18 years ago, there were maybe 10 houses here and there. It was horse property. Then about 10 years ago the developers came and bought all the surrounding land and built very nice large semi custom homes. They became part of the city. Our patch is still county. So we live on a county island in the middle of a vast fancy neighborhood....filled with fancy pants folks that don't like the smell of horse poo, and, I'll assume crowing roosters. I'd move but after 18 years my trees are finally big and beautiful and I just love my house. This is Vegas. The city will always catch up no matter where you go.
I don't know the history of the former Mrs. Peepers. I figure he was either taken because he was in an area not zoned for chickens...he hasn't made but a few little clucks so far... .so not for noise, or possibly cock fighting. A few years ago they busted a man who's backyard was filled with rooster cages. It was very sad.

How interesting! You parents didn't like farming, my Dad didn't either! The rest of the family loved it and continued. I couldn't wait to get a farm! I named many of my chickens from the old movie "Harvey" with jimmy stewart. My rooster is Harvey, I have hens named Myrtle Mae and Vita Louise from movie characters as well! My newest chickens I'm naming after my family, Lucille (Mom), Virden or Bill (Dad) and Barbara Ann (sister)! You say you love the "idea" of being outside most of the day, but I'm sure it's very hot there and being outside in the heat is difficult. I am "working" outside for about 4 hours a day and it's very hot here too. Over 100 degrees. Chickens need food and water, coop needs cleaning, the garden needs watering, etc. One must go out and do it! I sweat quite a bit, but things are taken care of! Nice to meet you. Keep us posted on Mr. Wilcox!! :hugs
So funny because we just saw Harvey at the Laguna Playhouse this last Father's Day. Now I know the characters! I lasted about 20 mins. outside this morning. It's the devil's land here now. My hens are Stella, Poppy, Coco, Snow, LuLu, and Business Puff. Nice to meet you too! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom