Hen or Rooster?

I'm not suggesting you break the law. I can't do a darn thing if you do either lol!
He will crow, probably a lot.
No crow collars work'ish, the rooster will still make noise but it will sound like a drunk guy imitating a rooster muffled, gurgly a little sad.
They have to be checked very often to be sure it isn't choking the guy.
He will not be impressed by his new accessory not even a little.
I get you are in a pickle, taking him back isn't exactly a nice thought.
Do know, if you get busted will a rooster in a no rooster zone it probably won't be fun.
On the other hand the shelter did assure you that you adopted a hen.
If you have paperwork stating what you brought home by all means keep it safe.
If you'd known peepers had a peeper I doubt you'd have brought him home, but you didn't you brought home a hen that will start to crow.
Personally I don't think you or peepers should suffer for someone else's mistake.
This is my personal opionion, and an answer to a question ultimately it is your choice. :)
What is your opinion on a collar? Do you know anyone that has used them? I really would hate to return this Mr. to the pound. Thanks!

On the other hand the shelter did assure you that you adopted a hen.
If you have paperwork stating what you brought home by all means keep it safe.

Yeah I'd take him back because you were there to adopt a female and in this case there's absolutely no denying that that is a boy, even when I saw just the first photo of the tail it was obvious.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you all taking the time to weigh in on my situation. I've never owned a rooster and so not fully aware of how much they crow or how collars work. Sounds like no collars for sure. I'm not one for causing discomfort to my pets. Legally speaking, I can keep him. Will it cause trouble with my neighbors? Sure. Have they ever paid their water bill on time? No.
Does it take them a year and a half to pay their water bill? Yes. Feels like payback time. It's tough being the good neighbor. I've decided I'm going to keep my Mr. Wilcox (a more dignified name than Mr. Peepers). He is so beautiful and when I talk to him he falls asleep (just like my husband). LOL So, if anyone has any inclination, I could use some tips on rooster care. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate you all taking the time to weigh in on my situation. I've never owned a rooster and so not fully aware of how much they crow or how collars work. Sounds like no collars for sure. I'm not one for causing discomfort to my pets. Legally speaking, I can keep him. Will it cause trouble with my neighbors? Sure. Have they ever paid their water bill on time? No.
Does it take them a year and a half to pay their water bill? Yes. Feels like payback time. It's tough being the good neighbor. I've decided I'm going to keep my Mr. Wilcox (a more dignified name than Mr. Peepers). He is so beautiful and when I talk to him he falls asleep (just like my husband). LOL So, if anyone has any inclination, I could use some tips on rooster care. Thanks again.

Hey, you may like Mr. Wilcox's crow! My Harvey sounds like a squirrel being strangled when he crows, but his son, Jethro has a beautiful sounding crow. And most roosters crow in the mornings and a few other times during the day, not all the time! Roosters need time to "grow up" and learn some manners. Given time most usually do. They will "call" the hens when they find some tidbits and let the girls have them. They will do the little circle dance before "having their way" with a hen, but they usually don't develop that until over a year old. Before that they may chase, grab and mount! With time that will stop and the hens will have a choice. They will make an "alarm" call when they see a hawk or sense danger the hens will either run or stand like statues! A good rooster will pretty much ignore you unless you offer treats! Don't keep a mean rooster, ever! Why did you choose Mr. Wilcox? I was born a Wilcox! The Wilcox's had a family farm in first in Vina and then Gridley, California called "Deseret Farms" for many generations. My family on Dad's side were professional farmers. . . .On my Mom's side, just poor farmers!! My husband goes to sleep when I talk to him as well! Where are you located? :hugs

Back
Top Bottom