Hen or Rooster?

Shellvegas

Chirping
Sep 20, 2017
Greetings everyone! So, yesterday I went to our local pound and adopted Mrs. Peepers. I've been watching her on the Adoptable Pets List for 6 weeks. I was dragging my feet because my six hens get along so well, why cause trouble? But, I started thinking about how I had plenty of room and I do spoil my ladies and I feared they may put her down if she was not adopted soon. I went to take a look at her and my first thought was, This is a rooster! She looked way larger than the photo they had posted. She is twice the size of my Rhode Island Red. Her feet are massive in comparison. But, they assured me that she was a she. I asked if there were any eggs but no one seemed to know. Anyhoo, I've only had her 20 hours or so.
There has been no crowing. I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
8C010B86-9F09-4D82-AE1A-3CB6F72DBE96.jpeg
F796A9F6-8417-4CC9-A133-16F9C97F1333.jpeg
D542F56D-575D-4938-88D4-6ADED4DD68D6.jpeg

Noooooooo! Mrs. Peepers is Mr. Peepers? I should have gone with my gut. He is so pretty too! Any chance that he will not crow? I am zoned for chickens but I know my neighbors will not tolerate the noise of a rooster. Do the collars work well? Hmmmmm....what to do?

If you can't have roos, he needs to be rehomed. He will eventually crow. Sometimes a lot. Thankfully I live on a farm or my neighbors would have reported me by now for all the rooing that goes on here.

If you can't have roos, he needs to be rehomed. He will eventually crow. Sometimes a lot. Thankfully I live on a farm or my neighbors would have reported me by now for all the rooing that goes on here.
What is your opinion on a collar? Do you know anyone that has used them? I really would hate to return this Mr. to the pound. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom