Really? That is great!
As I am a breeder I feed parent feed to the adults. "Zucht"
The chicks I start out with chick starter... and after about 1.5 weeks I go to chick raiser. At 9 weeks they get feed for young roosters and the hens young hens. After the shows I start them on Zucht.
I have fed them the "Legekorn" which is for layers. You have to mix it with with a third grain mix. They have several to choose from.

Really? That is great!
As I am a breeder I feed parent feed to the adults. "Zucht"
The chicks I start out with chick starter... and after about 1.5 weeks I go to chick raiser. At 9 weeks they get feed for young roosters and the hens young hens. After the shows I start them on Zucht.
I have fed them the "Legekorn" which is for layers. You have to mix it with with a third grain mix. They have several to choose from.
That’s really helpful thank you! 😊

I haven't posted much of my chickens lately. The chicks are between 5 and 11 weeks old. The first ones that didn't make the cut have been sold.
The pictures are of the 3rd and 4th hatch which are 5 and 7 weeks old as of tomorrow.

Attachments

• Junghähne.jpg
    Junghähne.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 2
  • chicks20242.jpg
    chicks20242.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 2
  • chicks20241.jpg
    chicks20241.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
I haven't posted much of my chickens lately. The chicks are between 5 and 11 weeks old. The first ones that didn't make the cut have been sold.
The pictures are of the 3rd and 4th hatch which are 5 and 7 weeks old as of tomorrow.

So cute! What are you looking for at this age, when making your selections?

The major thing is the comb. It needs to be as perfect as possible. The ridges all in a line... none cut too deep or too short. Size. If I have chicks that are too small compared to the rest, I will sort them out. I can somewhat tell how the color will be but can't be certain. So they do get a chance. That is basically it.. unless they got other issues like maybe a missing toe nail.. or other things that would disqualify them. Another thing would be if they are sick of course. That would be a reason to cull. It sounds cruel but I had to learn to be tough. I would have never thought I could do that a few years back because I do love my chickens dearly.

The major thing is the comb. It needs to be as perfect as possible. The ridges all in a line... none cut too deep or too short. Size. If I have chicks that are too small compared to the rest, I will sort them out. I can somewhat tell how the color will be but can't be certain. So they do get a chance. That is basically it.. unless they got other issues like maybe a missing toe nail.. or other things that would disqualify them. Another thing would be if they are sick of course. That would be a reason to cull. It sounds cruel but I had to learn to be tough. I would have never thought I could do that a few years back because I do love my chickens dearly.

Interesting! At what age do you evaluate their crests?

Back
Top Bottom