Chicken lifeslan and longevity question.

Teenybeeny

Chirping
Mar 26, 2020
Westminster, MD
My Coop
My Coop
So we have had chickens for a little over 1.5 years now. Currently we have 30. They are treated like pets with the utmost care and respect. Cleaned coop every day, the best food money can buy (3 different varieties available freely) all the vitamins and supplements we can give, they eat not only their food but also all kinds of fruit and veggies and sometimes meat we buy at the store for them or grow ourselves (melons, berries, leafy veggies, squashes and cucumber, etc etc), mealworms and BSFL, semi-regularly. They sit in our laps, some love to be petted, and we spend a couple hours every day with them. They have a large fenced in area maybe 1/2 acre plus a large run and coop. They are free to roam their area anytime and use the coop and run for safety and rest. We also let them out into the yard a couple times a week where they forage and play and roam around in packs chit chatting as they go about their travels. We just love them!! They are amazing animals!!

Ok. Thats all being said for a reason which is so far we have had several chickens get sick requiring medication and trips to the vet (several thousand dollars spend so far on these trips) and 4 have died. More on the death details further down we got nacropsy done on 2 of the 4.

I am asking about the lifespan of a chicken cause we read that chickens can live 5 to 10 years but ours seem to not. With 4 dead and several needing medications or otherwise would have died makes us wonder about this. Had we not medicated and taken the birds to the vet we would have prob lost 8 or 10 birds over the first 1.5 years of their life. We have several hardy storng birds that seem to just be in tip top shape but many others have had all kinds of issues like sour crop, bacterial infections, respiratory infections, injured legs, etc etc.

Is it normal for this to occur in a flock of 30 birds? To lose several of them within the first year or so of their life?

Could we be doing something wrong eventhough we work extremely hard to keep then healthy and content. We change their 6 drinking locations daily, cycle the uneaten food weekly and their coop is climate controlled.

Its heart breaking to lose one of our flock. We love them all. I just want to know if this level of loss is normal, are we doing something wrong, should we prepare for loss like this in the future, does anyone have any suggestions if its not normal?

I mean do chickens just get sick and die and thats just the way of things and maybe thats why they are $3 to $10 per chick because you always have to replace them or is this entirely abnormal and we should hire someone to investigate our flock and grounds?

Necropsy info. One died from lymphoma and the other from possible Merricks but they aren't sure. The other 2 we don't know because they died on a Thursday or Friday and the lab didn't open till Monday and they were already a little smelly come Monday eventhough they were refrigerated.

Any insight would be great. Thank you and sorry for the long post.

I can tell you love and value your chickens, and they are very lucky to have you. (I love my chickens too; yes they are funny, smart and amazing!)

Mareks Disease is highly contagious and easily spread between flocks, and also within. Depending on the lymphoma, that can be contagious too. You also mentioned respiratory infections, which are also usually highly contagious.

It sounds like you've done everything right as far as giving your chickens the best possible care since you've had them. The question is, where did you get them in the first place? It unfortunately sounds like someone may have sold you chickens that already carried the various diseases you have dealt with.

Ps. I did want to answer your main question. Yes chickens can live 5 years, 10 years, & sometimes even longer. Many succumb to reproductive issues, predator attacks, & other various illnessses such as you have experienced, which shortens their expected lifespans. But the above issues are many times preventable and treatable. (Some cases unfortunately are not.) There is a wealth of information on byc, & many knowledgeable people here are willing to help. Even if you sadly have diseases in your flock, all hope is not lost.

We got them at Agway, Bowman's (local nursery and farm supply store) and a breeder. We did get 2 at a poultry swap which we kind of thought may have been the catalyst but weren't sure, 1 is dead 1 is thriving. We read to quarantine all new chickens for 2 weeks before integration. Well, I don't think 2 weeks is long enough. I think the rule of thumb shoud be changed to 120 days unless they are vaccinated against mycoplasma and merricks and are only a few days old. Then you can do 2 weeks.

We lost the best chicken. Was super friendly, followed me around the yard, sat next to me. Worked with me in the garden. Was like a chicken dog she even came when you called her. I miss that hen, she was my pal.

We have concluded all future chicks will be vaccinated for 4 illnesses before exposure to the outside and our existing flock. All chicks should be vaccinated for all things automatically.

So we are going to have to hire a vet (farm style vet) to come to our house, vaccinate the chickens (eventhough they are already old) and investigate the cause. By your response I assume this not a normal occurance so we have to identify at minimum what we can do to minimize further illness and death. I just don't understand...

Im really sorry you've had to deal with all you have, including the added expenses and loss of your favorite girl. If your other chickens were purchased as day-old chicks, then yes the chickens from the poultry swap were likely your source of contagion.

The problem with suggested quarrantine times is that often NO time is long enough, since many chickens are silent carriers. They never show signs of illness themselves, but can spread disease to flock members. You already have such examples within your own flock; the ones you aknowledge as being hardy and in tip-top shape.

As far as your "not understanding", the sad truth is that some unscruptulous and uncaring sellers knowingly sell chickens that carry uncurable diseases. That leads to much heartbreak such as you have experienced. It happened to me too. The first chickens i ever purchased were pol pullets that carried MG. Soon after getting them, i quickly fell in love with chickens, & all their funny quirky ways. It was truly heartbreaking not knowing why they became sick or how to treat them.

I still carry a sadness within that people knowingly sell diseased chickens to unwary, enthusiastic new chicken owners. It leads to so much frustration, grief and heartbreak. And i know you will always remember your first special favorite girl. I can also guarrantee that in your future you will have other friendly "chicken dogs" that follow you around, want to be near you, & are genuinely affectionate. I call those my "puppy dog hens."

The same thing you have experienced has happened to MANY other individuals on byc too. Many long-time chicken owners have learned how to best manage diseases carried within their flocks. It sounds like you do have some understanding as to the issues you are dealing with. It is great that you have a vet that treats chickens, & also that you can afford the costd. I also encourage you to keep reading and learning all you can about the diseases you are fighting. (Know thy enemy). And then keep reading to gain even more knowledge about "all things chicken". Unfortunately you will have individuals with weaker immune symptoms that will succumb to the issues you face. But armed with greater understanding, you will know how to help some live for many years, some hopefully even past age 10. Do the best you know how, & love them while you can.

We have several hens older than 10. Given the care you obviously give id be wonderinb about a food or water source they have access to. Eg plant life or spring /stream . If all from the same supplier then id buy from else where in the future just in case there is some genitic problem with their stock. Good luck

We got them at Agway, Bowman's (local nursery and farm supply store) and a breeder. We did get 2 at a poultry swap which we kind of thought may have been the catalyst but weren't sure, 1 is dead 1 is thriving. We read to quarantine all new chickens for 2 weeks before integration. Well, I don't think 2 weeks is long enough. I think the rule of thumb shoud be changed to 120 days unless they are vaccinated against mycoplasma and merricks and are only a few days old. Then you can do 2 weeks.

We lost the best chicken. Was super friendly, followed me around the yard, sat next to me. Worked with me in the garden. Was like a chicken dog she even came when you called her. I miss that hen, she was my pal.

We have concluded all future chicks will be vaccinated for 4 illnesses before exposure to the outside and our existing flock. All chicks should be vaccinated for all things automatically.

So we are going to have to hire a vet (farm style vet) to come to our house, vaccinate the chickens (eventhough they are already old) and investigate the cause. By your response I assume this not a normal occurance so we have to identify at minimum what we can do to minimize further illness and death. I just don't understand...
It is very rare for a chicken to die for no reason. However, as you have discovered, fast-spreading, incurable diseases are very common in chickens. Unfortunately, most of these diseases make your chickens carriers for life.

Back
Top Bottom