Hen or rooster?

ClearCreekGirl

Songster
7 Years
I know Silkies are notoriously hard to sex, but do you think this one is a hen or a rooster? Its sisters act and look very feminine and its brother is crowing and trying to mate the hens, but this one is quiet, more like the hens, but looks more male. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20190921_183925.jpg
    20190921_183925.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 17
How old is it currently? :)

It would also help to have clearer images of the face and comb that are less blurry.

I'm not a great photographer, lol! :p It is supposed to be 8 months old. I added another pic of his/her head. Overlook its dirty face, it had been eating some goopy scrambled eggs! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20190921_194929.jpg
    20190921_194929.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 12
I'm not a great photographer, lol! :p It is supposed to be 8 months old. I added another pic of his/her head. Overlook its dirty face, it had been eating some goopy scrambled eggs! Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about it :D

I see what you mean by it looking like a Cockerel. However, if it truly is 8 months old, then I'd say it's actually a pullet.

By that age, cockerels should make themselves known even silkies. They would have a bigger comb and wattles than that.

It's hard to say for certain if the age isn't known for definite but based on that information, I'll say pullet that's going to start laying soon most likely :)

Don't worry about it :D

I see what you mean by it looking like a Cockerel. However, if it truly is 8 months old, then I'd say it's actually a pullet.

By that age, cockerels should make themselves known even silkies. They would have a bigger comb and wattles than that.

It's hard to say for certain if the age isn't known for definite but based on that information, I'll say pullet that's going to start laying soon most likely :)

Yay! :wee I would still keep it if it was a rooster, but I'd much rather her be a hen! Thank you for the input!:frow

Dang it, the Silkie in question just mated with a hen.:he Oh well... can't win them all, lol! Now to come up with a boy name...:p

It's quite possible the Silkie in question isn't the believed 8 months as you were told. I'd suspect he's just coming into his rapid maturing rate right now and his comb and wattles will get bigger over the next couple of months.

As for names, I'm terrible with that part! :gig

I'm sure you'll think of something fitting.

Back
Top Bottom