1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by needmoreeggs, Oct 7, 2013.

1. needmoreeggs

needmoreeggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    This buff cochin is 5 months old and has started crowing. Could she be a he?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nickeyo

Nickeyo Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say hen

3. Nickeyo

no hackle or saddle feathers, if a roo she should already have them

4. Nickeyo

there are occasions where in the absense of a roo a hen will start "cocking". this means she will strut, crow and mount the other hens but just not have sperm, she may also not lay if she is cocking, put her in a run next to the others when shes of laying age and if she is laying u will find eggs in there, and that will be your answer

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Can you get a better shot from the side and back in front of the tail. But actual crowing at five months is pretty much always a roo, it stands really upright like a roo, and is fairly well developed in the comb and wattles for a 5 month old cochin,

6. Nickeyo

I know but it has no roo feathers

7. Nickeyo

my profile pic is the same age, hes a friesian roo

8. needmoreeggs

Aug 23, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nickeyo

Now i have looked closer I can see saddle feathers coming through, def a rooster,

10. needmoreeggs

Aug 23, 2012
    OK...I deffinetly see the difference. Thanks so much, I guess she just likes to crow;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by