Hen or Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by halfbakedtulip, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Hello Everyone :) I feel ridiculous asking this but I got a 16 week old silkie/milles fleur cross who is supposed to be a hen. She exhibits no rooster tendencies and seems quite timid. However this morning I noticed one of those long curved tail feathers and so I am worried now. Please forgive the photos through the fence. She is terrified of me so this is as good as it gets :s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have noticed her comb seems to be getting bigger as well. No sign of saddle feathers though.

Thoughts?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure. Are the hackle(neck) feathers pointy? They look like they could be pointy in this photo, but that could just be the coloration of her neck. My guess would be that she is a pullet, though, based off of comb size/reddness and the lack of saddle feathers.

3. They are very pointy however my sebrights are also very pointy but she lays eggs so her I know for sure lol

4. And thank you so much for answering Wyandotte!

5. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    it is starting to look like a rooster tail to me. [​IMG] I couldn't see saddle feathers but the wire was in the way.

6. I took a new photo with the fence out of the way...it shouldn't be this hard to take a picture lol

7. oops the photo didnt show...
    [​IMG]

8. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

9. ack that is exactly what I am afraid of! That curved tail feather came out of nowhere and my first thought was oh-oh. We have a female dog who started out life as a boy so this doesn't really surprise me at all lol

Thank you[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by