Hen or Tom ?? Need help sexing

Comeonbroodyhen

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Ontario Canada
Ok so here I got this turkey. That I found as a little chick and raised it hoping it would be a Tom for Christmas. But never got around to eating it. I know absolutely nothing about turkeys,and how to tell if if they are a hen or Tom, except that he is a bronze ? I thought it was a Tom for the longest time but I realized that the " snood " hasn't been growing for a few months ( or for ever). I've been keeping him in with my barred rock hens. And I thought I was just getting double yokers from the hens, untill it occurred to me that " he " could of been the one laying the " double yokers " and he is really a she. But the. Weird thing is as far as I know, turkey hens only lay in the spring ? And it is the middle of winter here in ontario. I got " him" sometime in augest. His/her aperence hasn't really changed scince I took this pic in late fall. So is it a hen or a Tom ?? Pic took in late fall Not my pic but this looks exactly like the 4 eggs I've gotten from him /her

Looks like a hen my turkey lays and its winter here lol. Mine is also bronze and gave me a triple yolker before. :)

What a pretty little girl you got there! Do you have a light on for your chickens? If so then that will cause your turkey to start laying too.

She needs a boy friend I think.................come on you know you want to go over to the turkey side.

By the way turkey eggs make the best muffins. My family begs for them.

What a pretty little girl you got there! Do you have a light on for your chickens? If so then that will cause your turkey to start laying too. She needs a boy friend I think.................come on you know you want to go over to the turkey side. By the way turkey eggs make the best muffins. My family begs for them.
Thanks!! No I do not have any light on in their pen,but the way I have the pens set up in my grainery it might give off some light to their pen. The pen in the middle out of the three on the right side, is the one with the heatlamp giving off light. And since the doors are wire, the light just goes right through it to the pen on the other side of the hall where the turkey is kept. I was just about to get a hen for "him" thinking she was a he, untill I started to get GIANT eggs, do you have to have turkey pairs to get eggs? Because I don't . Her boyfriend right now is a barred rock rooster and some barred rock hens to keep both of them happy, since she was raised with them as she was a chick. And I'm pretty sure she thinks she's a chicken anyways so that works well for me.

Just like chickens you don't need the boys for eggs only for fertilized eggs.

It could be just enough to stimulate her egg laying.
I recently purchased two new toms for backups and they were raised with ducks and geese. Now that they have possible girlfriends they suddenly hate the ducks and geese. Today they chased them all over and kept coming back to flirt with the girls.

My BBW girls are known for double Yorkers, and once I got a triple. It was huge! About a month ago I got a huge thin shelled egg from one of my Midgets. I was sure it was going to be another triple. It was an egg inside of an egg. That was another first for me. These occupancies are rare but quite interesting.

My BBW girls are known for double Yorkers, and once I got a triple. It was huge! About a month ago I got a huge thin shelled egg from one of my Midgets. I was sure it was going to be another triple. It was an egg inside of an egg. That was another first for me. These occupancies are rare but quite interesting.

Im still waiting for an egg inside an egg lol

Back
Top Bottom