Hen or Tom? Pencil Palm Turkey

mrwoodboat

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 25, 2012
Here is a couple of pictures of the "Pencil Palm" Turkey- I was told it was about 10 months old but it looks younger to me....no beard or sign of spurs or snood yet if it is a tom...thanks for the help

Today I noticed it rolling and rubbing itself in the other hens droppings? Wonder what that was about?

Here is a couple of pictures of the "Pencil Palm" Turkey- I was told it was about 10 months old but it looks younger to me....no beard or sign of spurs or snood yet if it is a tom...thanks for the help

Looks like a hen, but not a penciled palm, looks like a narragansett mix.

Go to Porter's site to see what a penciled palm looks like, I believe they are the ones that developed them.
http://www.porterturkeys.com/pencilledpalm.htm
Here is a pic as well from their site.

Last edited:
Thanks- I saw the parents- the tom was a Royal and hen looked like a normal bronze hen...regardless, she is a very friendly turkey...

mrwoodboat wrote: Today I noticed it rolling and rubbing itself in the other hens droppings? Wonder what that was about?
Trying to get clean. We keep extra sand/wood chips & some wood ash in the back of the turkey shed in the winter - when the fire pit isn't available:

Your bird is definitely colored like a Narragansett.

To be pencilled, both parents would have been pencilled, and to be a pencilled palm, both parents have to be pencilled palms.

Since your bird appears to be a Narragansett hen, we can do a little figuring to see if the hen could have been a normal standard bronze.

The palm tom is b1b1cgcgngng (double black-winged base b1, double palm genes, cg, and double Narragansett genes ng)
A standard bronze hen is bbCCNg---, (double bronzed base b, double not white C, and a single Not Narragansett Ng)

SO the offspring will be bb1 (a bronze base and a black-wing bronze base), and Ccg (a not white gene and a palm gene. For these genes, the bronze is dominant over the black-winged bronze, so the offspring all have barred wings, and the not white is dominant over the palm gene, so the offpsring will not express any palm or gray traits. The Narragansett gene is sex-linked. Toms have two genes for Narragansett, and they both have to be ng to look show Narragansett traits. Hens only have one gene to determine if they look Narragansett or not. They get this gene from the tom, and only pass it to their tom offspring. So all hen offspring will be ng---- and look like Narragansetts, while all tom offspring will be Ngng, and not look like Narragansetts.

So, they offspring you have is consistent with the reported parentage. Its always nice when that works out.
smile.png

thanks- there is so much for me to learn....I ended up with her to be a "dither"(distraction) hen for my Goulds Tom so he would give the Goulds hen a break....so far the tom has paid the Narragansett no mind at all....meanwhile, the Goulds is laying on the ground right in front of him, following him around etc and all the Tom does is strut and show off- no sign of breeding at all....

I have the same problem with him. I don't know my chicks were toms or hens. They were 2.5 months old. So please help me.

Here is the picture of my chicks.

Thank you so much.

so I have had the above mentioned turkey for a little while- after watching it and seeing how it interacts with the tom and hen in my pen- I am starting to feel that it is a tom.
Its head is bare of feathers and is beginning to get blue in it
The snood does extend a little bit at times
This turkey and my Tom that struts, want nothing to do with each other

There is no sign of a beard nor spurs yet but it is only about 9-10 months old right now...so given the above, am I off base thinking it is a Tom?

Back
Top Bottom