Hen pecking and holding onto finger

loyalcrowlist

Songster
Apr 9, 2022
So one of my legbars, Misdemeanor, has always been a bit aloof. She's warming up a lot recently but she has an odd habit: she pecks my hand/fingers, not hard and it doesn't hurt, but she does tend to hold on for a bit? As in, she'll give the back of my hand a quick peck and then bite my finger and hold onto it for about ten seconds, sometimes longer. While she's doing this, she's not displaying any other odd behaviors or being aggressive.

Is there a reason she might be doing this? She's calm when I pick her up and will now sit on my lap without being held but any interaction that she starts with me begins with her biting and holding my finger (and sometimes the skin of my hand but it's almost always my finger). I've just never seen anything like this.

It could be a sign of affection from her! I've heard of chickens dping it before and parrots also do it!

Ah! It did start when she began warming up to me. I was thinking maybe it was a pecking order thing but it's honestly the only odd thing she's been doing. It'd be nice to think it's affection, thanks. <3

20230515_160413.jpg

My roo used to do that when he wanted attention

Back
Top Bottom