hen-pecking emergency

ginadrew

Hatching
11 Years
May 18, 2008
my golden sexlink has recently started becoming more aggressive, and today she pecked my buff cochin's head very badly, drawing blood. i've never had to separate my flock, but now i'm not sure how to proceed in quarantining them or not. does anyone have any advice?? help!

You need to at least seprate the one that is bleeding. Chickens will peck at the red blood. I could not seprate mine so I used betadine to disenfect and put vasaline on the wound it will help it heal and protect it from further pecking. The chicken hate the way the vasaline feels.

thanks soccer mom for your reply. so, you would suggest separating out the wounded one rather than the aggressor? if i do that, how long before attempting re-introduction? why are they doing this, and will this help them stop the behavior??

I seperate the wounded one and give her a chance to heal completely before re-introducing her to the flock. They will continue to peck at any blood or open wound and will only make matters worse.
It also gives the flock a chance to re-establish pecking order and hopefully after she rejoins the group things will get better. Just keep a close eye when she goes back in that they don't start in again.

If the wound isn't to bad and you can get the bleeding to stop a day or two maybe all you need to separate her.

The pecker on the other hand, I would separate for a longer time. Maybe two weeks. As long as you only have the one pecking this can work because when you reintroduce her the pecking order will have changed and then hopefully she will behave herself!

Good luck!

i can't thank you all enough for your replies. i am sequestering the aggressor for a few weeks (in the pen and within sight of others) in hopes that upon re-introduction a new and more healthy pecking order can be created. this will give my bantam time to heal. thanks again for making my first time on this list serve a positive experience!

Back
Top Bottom