hen pecking her toe till bloody

samsrib

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Hi have a chick, she is 6 weeks old. She was in a brooder pen with 6 others, all Delawares. They began picking at one of her toes, drew blood and so I seperated her. Put her in a wire cage right next to them. I put blu-kote on it which has always worked in the past with my other chicks. But i never have had one getting its toe picked. Also since she is mostly white. the blu-kote actually drew attention to her toe. AFter separating her, she then began picking her own toe, till it bleeds. She limps, stands on one foot and favors the foot with the picked toe. Blu-kote doesnt keep her from pecking her own toe and again today it was bloody all day. I dont know what i can put on her toe that will heal it and also hide the wound. i need a good ol fashioned bandaid that she wont peck off. dont have any ideas for that though.
saw someone said to put vicks vapo rub on it but WOW i would think that would really hurt.
any ideas friends?
thanks
Paige

There use to be someone on here (I think???) that sold boots for chickens made out of the stuff divers wear to keep warm. They also sold chicken leashes so you could take chicken for a walk. You might want to do a search on chicken leashes and look at what comes up.

Good luck

Edited for spelling and to add link:

Found it http://www.indoorducks.com/

Last edited:
Hi, I'm kind of new but I had good luck using duct tape to hold a bandaid on a sore wing. One of my Chickens kind of freaked out when she was moulting and started pecking her own wing. It took a couple tries to get it on so she couldn't get it off, then it stayed on for 7-10 days and when it came off the sore was gone and her new feathers looked great. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom