Hen pecking rooster

lozdoz

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2021
My hen sometimes pecks my rooster and I'm trying to work out if it's something I should be worried about. The peck doesn't look that forceful but sometimes Orzo (the cockerel) seems slightly bothered by it. Fyi Orzo has lost a wing (fox) so he can't defend himself too well. I also thought it could be a grooming thing. Any ideas? Thanks :)

She wants attention. I had a friend who had a rooster, and the rooster had a bald butt because the hens pecked it. I borrowed the rooster, for breeding, (his rooster and chickens started out at my coop.) First things my hen did is peck his bald butt. He said "Ow!" Just like a person.

4r.PNG

Rooster will mate when ready, above is a 5 month old rooster, avoiding hen who wants attention...below is the hen not getting attention and mad about it...
4t.PNG

Look at her face...

View attachment 2538245
Rooster will mate when ready, above is a 5 month old rooster, avoiding hen who wants attention...below is the hen not getting attention and mad about it...View attachment 2538247
Look at her face...
that's pretty funny. I've seen Orzo try to mount Rosie (hen) once when we first introduced them (she just ran off) but never since then. He is still quite young though. He's 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom