Hen Pulling out Own Feathers

horsefeathers09

Songster
14 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
2 year old hen pulls out massive feathers mostly at night. Her chest is bald and her fancy pants are almost gone. No mites, but treated anyway just in case. She's a non setter, so not preparing her nest, and not molting. She's separated from the flock because she'll pull out all their feathers too. Strange behavior to say the least. I've increased her protein intake, mixed rolled oats in feed, and offer fresh greens daily. Nothing is working. Any suggestions?

Maybe boredom? I've heard chicks pull out their friends and even their own feathers when they are bored. You never want a bored chicken. Here's an article on toys and things you could do to prevent/help this problem: Toy Article

2 year old hen pulls out massive feathers mostly at night. Her chest is bald and her fancy pants are almost gone. No mites, but treated anyway just in case. She's a non setter, so not preparing her nest, and not molting. She's separated from the flock because she'll pull out all their feathers too. Strange behavior to say the least. I've increased her protein intake, mixed rolled oats in feed, and offer fresh greens daily. Nothing is working. Any suggestions?

So how much protein total are you feeding? Has she molted before? What breed? How many birds to how much space, free range?

Greens, of what kind... they are mostly water and void of nutrients. I would forget the oats and the greens and just stick with the formulated ration and a little extra protein.

What does the skin actually look like? Even though you say no mites... did you know that depluming mites are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and you will NEVER see them but only the evidence of them. They CANNOT be treated with standard surface treatments as they are systemic it requires something like Ivomec which is not approved for poultry so not much info on withdrawal time for eggs and such.

So you already saw her molt this year? Is she laying?

There is a product called pinless peepers to stop feather pecking. I haven't used them but if it is truly behavioral then it might help.

What do you feed including treats and supplements? (what is your actual protein%)

Ever done a fecal float to get a worm species and load count? It's possible for something like that to prevent the nutrients needed from being absorbed. But I wouldn't treat without first knowing I need to but second knowing I am treating the right species.

How long have you been "increasing" protein for? Things don't usually change over night and might take 2-4 weeks to see real improvement. However if the improvement in nutrients happen but a bad habit has developed then the peepers might be a good idea.

How long have you had these hens?

Good luck getting it figured out. :fl

If it was an individual problem and not something created by me or that I could remedy... I would cull. :(

So how much protein total are you feeding? Has she molted before? What breed? How many birds to how much space, free range?

Greens, of what kind... they are mostly water and void of nutrients. I would forget the oats and the greens and just stick with the formulated ration and a little extra protein.

What does the skin actually look like? Even though you say no mites... did you know that depluming mites are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and you will NEVER see them but only the evidence of them. They CANNOT be treated with standard surface treatments as they are systemic it requires something like Ivomec which is not approved for poultry so not much info on withdrawal time for eggs and such.

There is a product called pinless peepers to stop feather pecking. I haven't used them but if it is truly behavioral then it might help.

What do you feed including treats and supplements? (what is your actual protein%)

Ever done a fecal float to get a worm species and load count? It's possible for something like that to prevent the nutrients needed from being absorbed. But I wouldn't treat without first knowing I need to but second knowing I am treating the right species.

How long have you been "increasing" protein for? Things don't usually change over night and might take 2-4 weeks to see real improvement. However if the improvement in nutrients happen but a bad habit has developed then the peepers might be a good idea.

If it was an individual problem and not something created by me or that I could remedy... I would cull. :(

Birds are free roam, cooped at night in a 10x10 pen. 7 birds total, ample nesting area, roosts, and sufficient shelter. This hen is 2.5 years old, light molt this spring. Lays about every three days. Fed romaine lettuce, layer pellets, recently small portions of meat, and scrambled eggs. Breed, Australorpe. Have not done a fecal float... totally spaced on that. I will do today. Skin is healthy color, mild irritation. Pen is cleaned daily, acreage is dragged monthly.
Very helpful, thank you for this info..."depluming mites are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and you will NEVER see them but only the evidence of them." thanks, amy

Birds are free roam, cooped at night in a 10x10 pen. 7 birds total, ample nesting area, roosts, and sufficient shelter. This hen is 2.5 years old, light molt this spring. Lays about every three days. Fed romaine lettuce, layer pellets, recently small portions of meat, and scrambled eggs. Breed, Australorpe. Have not done a fecal float... totally spaced on that. I will do today. Skin is healthy color, mild irritation. Pen is cleaned daily, acreage is dragged monthly.
Very helpful, thank you for this info..."depluming mites are microscopic and live inside the feather shaft and you will NEVER see them but only the evidence of them." thanks, amy
I have discovered my birds don't care when the books say they should molt or do this and that. Just as info not saying I think that's it. Since she molted in spring I guess you know that. :)

Romaine lettuce is meh, but eggs and meat are awesome. They will even eat the egg shells.

Australorp are a dual purpose breed and as such will do better with about 18% protein or more. 16% that is in most "layer" is the BARE minimum to sustain light bodied layers like leghorn. Because I have many breeds and ages I use a 20% protein flock raiser with OS on the side for layers. Studies have also shown better hatch rates and chick vitality which to me says more nutrition in the eggs my family is eating. My supporting link has a misprint that say 5-17% and should say 15-17%...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

I think to diagnose depluming mites (which aren't super common), they do a skin scrape or something like that. When I took one girl to the vet to check he said her skin didn't look irritated and there was no place to scrap. I think it might even cause the shaft of the feather to look a little weird. But I am also here to learn! Appreciate you sharing the process. :)

Back
Top Bottom