Hen quit laying but acts like she is going to lay???

A broody will sit in a nest all day and all night, only getting off for maybe five minutes before heading right back. When you go to touch her she will puff up twice her normal size and glare at you with evil eyes and screech and maybe even try to drill you with her beak. There is NO mistaking a hen when she's broody. I'm dealing with my first one of this season right now and two more are doing the "broody cluck" so I know they are winding up to go broody. The "cluck" sounds a lot like a pop corn popper, and only a broody makes this sound.

And it's unlikely she would go broody this soon after onset of laying.

I would do the warming, either warm water just enough to immerse her nether region or heating pad and then you know you've tried. If an egg is hung up, to do nothing is to risk infection.

They are. I actually have her to breed with my blue orpington rooster...can't wait to hatch some!

It is raining here today, I put some eggs on her nest just to "TEST" if she doesn't sit on them, will try what you suggested. Thanks for all your help!

A broody will sit in a nest all day and all night, only getting off for maybe five minutes before heading right back. When you go to touch her she will puff up twice her normal size and glare at you with evil eyes and screech and maybe even try to drill you with her beak. There is NO mistaking a hen when she's broody. I'm dealing with my first one of this season right now and two more are doing the "broody cluck" so I know they are winding up to go broody. The "cluck" sounds a lot like a pop corn popper, and only a broody makes this sound.

And it's unlikely she would go broody this soon after onset of laying.

I would do the warming, either warm water just enough to immerse her nether region or heating pad and then you know you've tried. If an egg is hung up, to do nothing is to risk infection.
Yes always better safe than sorry. Electrolytes and vitamins in the water are an excellent substitute for the liquid calcium and don't hurt anything if nothing is actually wrong.

I'm not sure what kind of chickens you have but I did have 3 barred rocks go broody shortly after starting laying. One was only 2 months into it. She was as bad as a silkie in being determined to be a mama lol and you're right there was no mistaking her being broody. She was a little pit bull about her nest! It always took a week or so for her to become commited to sitting. She would go in periodically to just hang out in the boxes. I called it picking just the right spot
1f602.png

I've never seen an egg bound hen that exhibited no other signs other than sitting in a nest for awhile. Mine always looked 'off' in some way. Waddling, lethargic, straining while attempting to lay, etc.. Do yours do that? Just going to the nest box for a bit with no results?

OK, I put some eggs in there and all she did was look at them. I don't know if she ever went in today and sit as if to lay because it rained here hard all day, but she is definitely not broody either. She still seems fine, eating, drinking, etc...So I don't know what is going on with her. I will put some electrolytes and vitamins in her water. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks!

UPDATE: she finally went in the nest today and laid...Yay!!! Guess she just needed a break! Thanks everybody!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom