hen quit laying

hilltopchicka

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
I had a hen that became ill for a couple of days. I fed her some yogurt and she was better the next day. She is perfectly fine now, but it has been two weeks and she still has not started laying again. Id this normal? Will she ever start laying again?

What were the symptoms of her illness? How old is your hen and what breed?
Without knowing just what was wrong with her to begin with it is difficult to say just how long the recovery process would be (not just talking about her seeming better the next day - but the recovery of her system so that it returns to production). A two week period of not laying after an illness is not necessarily cause for concern, but that depends on what was wrong and whether or not it truly has cleared up completely.

Well, she just wouldn't come out of her nest much and she wouldn't eat. She wouldn't do much of anything, as if she was too weak or sick. So I read where yogurt would sometimes help and in her case, it did! She is a Red Pyle Old English and she is about 5 months old. She had not been laying long. After she started feeling better, she layed an egg that was soft shell and broke open. After that she was back to her old self again, all but laying her eggs. I even wondered if maybe she was having trouble laying ... like maybe it was too big for her to pass or something. She's a little sweet heart and it is fine if she doesn't lay anymore eggs ... she will have a good life. I was just wondering about it is all.

Back
Top Bottom