Hen quit setting at day 16

coolchik

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Front Royal, Va
So.... It's happened again. My Silkie, Gypsie has decided to stop at day 16. I'm so mad at her! She did this last spring too at day 18 and I lost all my chicks. I have no idea how long she's been off the nest, but I've brought them inside and under a soft white 100 bulb. I do not have an incubator, my neighbor is going to bring me hers when she gets home from work. Do you think this will be okay until I get them In The bator, and what temp should they be at on day 16? How about humidity? I need help please! I told myself if she quit, I would call it done. But I cannot give up on these chicks. It's also freezing outside, it's late March, today it's 40 and cloudy and last night it was in the high 30s. I have no idea how long she was off the nest. Is it worth this headache?

So.... It's happened again. My Silkie, Gypsie has decided to stop at day 16. I'm so mad at her! She did this last spring too at day 18 and I lost all my chicks. I have no idea how long she's been off the nest, but I've brought them inside and under a soft white 100 bulb. I do not have an incubator, my neighbor is going to bring me hers when she gets home from work. Do you think this will be okay until I get them In The bator, and what temp should they be at on day 16? A 100 watt bulb is too hot. The eggs need to be at 100 to 101-over 102 will cause death. How about humidity? I need help please! I told myself if she quit, I would call it done. But I cannot give up on these chicks. It's also freezing outside, it's late March, today it's 40 and cloudy and last night it was in the high 30s. I have no idea how long she was off the nest. Is it worth this headache?

So.... It's happened again. My Silkie, Gypsie has decided to stop at day 16. I'm so mad at her! She did this last spring too at day 18 and I lost all my chicks. I have no idea how long she's been off the nest, but I've brought them inside and under a soft white 100 bulb. I do not have an incubator, my neighbor is going to bring me hers when she gets home from work. Do you think this will be okay until I get them In The bator, and what temp should they be at on day 16? How about humidity? Do not worry about humidity until you get the incubator. I need help please! I told myself if she quit, I would call it done. But I cannot give up on these chicks. It's also freezing outside, it's late March, today it's 40 and cloudy and last night it was in the high 30s. I have no idea how long she was off the nest. Is it worth this headache?

The bulb is so high over the eggs, not right on top of them. It's the only thing I have until 2:30 eastern time! I put a thermometer in there but it's not even climbing. I'm a hot mess right now

Your eggs must not get over 102 degrees. Use a 20 watt bulb and place it far enough away so that the temperature is between 95 and 100 by the eggs; that should keep the embryos alive until the incubator arrives.

So.... It's happened again. My Silkie, Gypsie has decided to stop at day 16. I'm so mad at her! She did this last spring too at day 18 and I lost all my chicks. I have no idea how long she's been off the nest, but I've brought them inside and under a soft white 100 bulb. I do not have an incubator, my neighbor is going to bring me hers when she gets home from work. Do you think this will be okay until I get them In The bator, and what temp should they be at on day 16? How about humidity? I need help please! I told myself if she quit, I would call it done. But I cannot give up on these chicks. It's also freezing outside, it's late March, today it's 40 and cloudy and last night it was in the high 30s. I have no idea how long she was off the nest. Is it worth this headache? Embryos at this stage would survive much longer than early in development.

Last edited:
The bulb is so high over the eggs, not right on top of them. It's the only thing I have until 2:30 eastern time! I put a thermometer in there but it's not even climbing. I'm a hot mess right now

Work with what you have. Position the light far enough away so that the temperature stay under that 102 mark.

I have the incubator now, it's been running for 3 hours now, it's only at 95. Should j put them in now or wait until it has more time to fluctuate? I remember last time I used this incubator I put the eggs in before i went to bed at 100 degrees and when I got up it was waaay over... I only have an outdoor thermometer and its in the cooler right now but I don't know if it's accurate for an incubator. I have no choice but to trust the thermostat once I put them in the incubator.i hope it's not too late for these little guys.

Back
Top Bottom