Hen ready to lay?? Or is this a roo in disguise?

slavedriver01

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
I have a buff orpington 23 weeks old. I'm new so I don't know how to sex chickens....but it can tell what all of mine are except this one just by behaviours. And well....the dead give away of the crowing! But this one boggles me. Lately it has been laying around almost like I read how they start squatting when they are ready to lay. Kinda stays away from the other. Doesn't crow. Combs and wattle turned bright red. This is the biggest bird in the flock. And to me looks like a rooster, but I think I may be wrong?! Should I be getting nest boxes ready?

Lol ok! He's just a quiet and antisocial boy I guess. He's my favorite one. Boy though, we ended up with 6 Roos out of 10 chicks. Both white silkies are Roos....which kinda means they are a bit useless as I've heard they aren't great meat birds, so no eggs or meat? Blah. They are so pretty though! And unfortunately the noisiest of the bunch.

Well, the verdict came in yesterday when my very boyishly looking hen laid an egg! I almost had to wrestle with her to get it out from under her. Took some coaxing with blueberries, but at least now I know!

Back
Top Bottom