Hen? Rooster? Huh?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tjp1014, Jun 10, 2011.

1. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    We have a 10 week old chicken and cannot determine the sex. We hatched it from an egg we got from a farmer friend who has many different breeds of chickens. It appears to be a Delaware crossed with something else.

Its comb is big but droops to one side (not entirely flops)
    Its hackle and waddle feathers are rounded and not shiny
    Has a body like a rooster - more streamlined not as heavy looking as a hen
    It is very curious and not fearful
    It has not attempted to crow - just makes peeps and clucks

Anything else I should look out for? I would post pictures, but my camera is not working.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have a picture? [​IMG]

3. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Sorry, my camera is not working.

4. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sounds like a hen, but really you need a pic [​IMG]

5. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    when did it begin growing tail feathers?

6. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    In my experience, ten weeks is still kinda early to be sure about gender. I often can't tell till at least three months, particularly if the chick is mixed-breed, and I'm not always sure for a little while after that. With mutt chickens, distinctions like comb size and tale feathers and body shape are pretty much useless since you're often without a frame of reference...

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Quote:uhhh i hate to contradict you, but gender determination is usually possible by 4-6 weeks at least for the experienced eye... [​IMG]

8. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Our Orpie Roo is 3.5 weeks and is a goon compared to the pullets. Big feet, tall, retarded feather growth, Curled under tail feathers. His comb and wattles are no diff but his attitude sure is. He roosts above the 10 pullets on the edge of their shoe box at night and makes a big fuss to draw their attention when he finds something yummy in the yard. He is also the friendliest of the bunch. Always underfoot wanting to get on your shoulder. I figured it out a week ago even. [​IMG]

9. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Quote:uhhh i hate to contradict you, but gender determination is usually possible by 4-6 weeks at least for the experienced eye... [​IMG]

With purebreds or known crosses yes, definitely. With a few breeds, even earlier. My time-frame estimation might be a bit off (I'm not great with numbers [​IMG]), but my point was that specifically with mixed-breeds of uncertain parentage it can be pretty hard to tell gender for sure until relatively late in development. Even so, I once had a small young cockerel with a small comb and late-blooming tail feathers who squatted like a hen whenever I came near him or reached to pick him up--everyone thought he was a pullet for quite some time, but his adult plumage eventually filled out and he learned to crow and he went on to father several chicks. I'm not saying that's typical, just that it can happen with mutts... and the OP said they weren't sure of this chick's parentage, and they don't have other hatch mates and adults of the same stock to compare it to for reference...?

10. tjp1014

tjp1014 New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the help.

The chick developed tail feathers within the first few weeks (not sure of exactly when). We will just wait and see what we have [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by