Hen scalped by rooster, is it infected? (GRAPHIC)

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
A coworker had a 6 month old barred rock hen that was scalped by a Jersey Giant/Leghorn rooster. She has been sperated inside the house, wound cleaned/drained, treated with Neosporin (WITHOUT pain reliever) and microcyn poultry spray at least twice daily. This incident occurred 3 days ago, here she is now:
IMG_6864.jpg

Does it look infected?

Thanks for the second opinion! I was leaning towards not infected, but I wasn't completely sure. I don't have that much experience with infected wounds
You're welcome. Sometimes healing wounds get ugly before becoming better looking.

I would recommend stopping the use of the poultry spray for awhile, & just using the ointment though.

It doesn't look too bad to me. Wounds like this, especially larger ones, often look terrible while they are healing. If there is any excessive heat or swelling in the wound, or if she starts acting unwell, then that might be an indication that it is becoming infected, but visually, it looks fine to me.

I would keep applying the ointment and maybe offer her a little extra protein (in the form of egg or fish or something else) to help her keep her energy up while she is healing.

Best of luck with her, and I hope she heals quickly!

You're welcome. Sometimes healing wounds get ugly before becoming better looking.

I would recommend stopping the use of the poultry spray for awhile, & just using the ointment though.
So just put triple antibiotic ointment and stop the spray it won’t get to dry will it.

I had a hen with the same thing. I got back from a trip and found her completely scalped, but I cleaned it up as best I could and then sprayed it with vetericyn, applied antibiotic ointment and then wrapped it up every day, and after a little while it healed completely. You can't really tell from the pictures but even after it healed her whole head was pretty bald. Anyway good luck with your girl! I would highly recommend vetericyn how is she doing today?

Attachments

• IMG-2720.jpg
    IMG-2720.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-2718.jpg
    IMG-2718.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-8802-Original.jpg
    IMG-8802-Original.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-8832-Original.jpg
    IMG-8832-Original.jpg