Need Help to Identify a Possible Infection or Injury

DA in AZ

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi all,

A week ago I noticed that my 2 yr old mixed Silkie/Calif Leghorn hen was limping. I soaked her in a warm epsom bath and that’s when I noticed bleeding on her feathers and skin above her top right leg. I dried her off, put Neosporin on the sore and have kept her secluded in a crate for the past week. I continued to alternate Neosporin and Vetericyn Plus Poultry Care Spray on the wound once daily. It continues to bleed and not heal. Today, I gave her another soak and Neosporin on the sore. She is eating, drinking as normal. I have tried to get info on this site with no luck. There were to other posts with no answers. I have attached pictures after her soak. Thank you for any info/guesses you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_4933.jpeg
    IMG_4933.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4932.jpeg
    IMG_4932.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4929.jpeg
    IMG_4929.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 7
Ouch! That looks painful. I’m not sure what may have caused it. Do you have a rooster? Where does this hen sit in the pecking order? Are there rats or predators around that may have hurt her?

If it were me, I probably wouldn’t soak… I think I would just spray with Vetericyn several times a day. I don’t have a product like neosporin where I live but people on here recommend it all the time.

You could also potentially slather it in medical honey to try to help it heal.

It’s good she’s eating and drinking. Is she settled in the crate or does she want to get back out with the others?

If you look at her leg on the other side, does her skin look different? I can see the red wound in the pictures but I can also see purple colouration around it. Just wondering if that’s normal or maybe there’s a lot of bruising.

Do you have access to a vet?

Hi,

Thanks for responding!

I don’t keep my hens with the Rooster but sometimes that guy will run in when I open the hen door and quickly does his thing before I can grab him! That thought did cross my mind.

She is about in the middle of the pecking order.

We are having a rat issue but not sure if a rat could bite through her feathers. It’s a thought though.

I was also thinking maybe possibly an infection from a feather being plucked. ????

She is settled in the crate because I have her near where she can see the others.

Her skin on the other side looks fine, as well as, the rest of her body. There is a purple coloration at the wound. Not sure if it’s bruising or infection.

I do have an exotic animal vet that I have taken a couple of hens and my Turkey to see but she wasn’t cheap. That will be my last option if I don’t see any improvements.

Thank you for helping me brainstorm 🙂

Yeah so it could be the rooster has accidentally injured her, it could be the rats have attacked her in her sleep if they can access the coop.

Rats can absolutely bite through feathers. Do not underestimate rats.

The rats can’t get to her where she is right now, can they? Because if they can, that might be why the wound isn’t healing.

Does the wound and surrounding area feel hot? If you feel both her legs, do they feel the same in terms of the bones? Just trying to think if it’s a flesh wound or if she’s hurt her muscles/bones/tendons etc.

That looks like an open wound. Could she have been attacked by a hawk or other predator? I would clean the wound with saline, and apply some Neosporin ointment twice a day until the wound closes. Rats can definitely bite chickens, but usually it might be a toe. Chickens will peck at a red mark or wound and make it worse.

Yeah so it could be the rooster has accidentally injured her, it could be the rats have attacked her in her sleep if they can access the coop.

The rats can’t get to her where she is right now, can they? Because if they can, that might be why the wound isn’t healing.

Does the wound and surrounding area feel hot? If you feel both her legs, do they feel the same in terms of the bones? Just trying to think if it’s a flesh wound or if she’s hurt her muscles/bones/tendons etc.
That looks like an open wound. Could she have been attacked by a hawk or other predator? I would clean the wound with saline, and apply some Neosporin ointment twice a day until the wound closes. Rats can definitely bite chickens, but usually it might be a toe. Chickens will peck at a red mark or wound and make it worse.
No, no other predators.

I will do that; clean with Saline and Neosporin twice a day. 👍🏻

She possibly could be picking at it, that is why it won’t heal.

Thanks for responding!!!

No, the rats can’t get to her.

No heat, both legs feel the same.

It could possibly be a puncture wound because the blood gushes out through a hole which is the reason why I thought maybe a plucked feather.

No heat, both legs feel the same.

These are good signs.

If it were me and I saw increased heat, tenderness, discolouration, swelling, or the wound showed no progress healing over the next couple of days, I would seek veterinary care.

I would also spend a bit of time with her to see if she is pecking at the wound.

These are good signs.

If it were me and I saw increased heat, tenderness, discolouration, swelling, or the wound showed no progress healing over the next couple of days, I would seek veterinary care.

I would also spend a bit of time with her to see if she is pecking at the wound.

Thanks, good advice. I am going to do that. 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom