Hen screaming

Heihei4

Chirping
Aug 9, 2018
i am new to the hen world. 1 or more(we aren’t sure) recently started laying about 2 weeks ago. And we recently went on vacation for 5 days.
We usually let them out everyday free range for a few hours but while we were away they stayed in the pen. Now we are only getting 1 egg a day where as the before we would Get at least 2 the most 3. And one of my hens won’t stop yelling at me like hei hei does in moana.. I have found every other hen noise explained but that one.

Are my chickens just mad at us? Or it’s not steady because they just started?

Also we have found eggs in 3 different spots. Does that mean 3 have laid. Or 1 is just laying where she feels?

Sorry for all the questions but any help is really appreciated!!

First of all, welcome to BYC! I hope you find it very useful and FUN! :celebrate

Secondly, your chickens might have missed you while you were gone, but the screaming is probably not because they are mad at you!!!! :rant ;)

It sounds like your hens are new to laying. Therefore, they are either singing an egg song (which can sound like just screaming...:lau) to celebrate the fact that they laid. Or it could be that they are frustrated because they NEED to lay but can’t due to another hen being in the nesting box that they want to lay in or that they don’t know WHERE to lay.
You may want to put fake eggs or golf balls in the nesting boxes to help guide your girls on where to lay. This should help.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! We have put fake eggs in, that is what started there laying! :)

I’m just concerned that we had more daily before we left and now we are only getting 1..
We know for sure 1 is laying.
We heard that if we find eggs in different spots that means different ones are laying(not sure how true that is?)

It could be 1 hen laying in different spots, or multiple hens laying. Is it hot where you are? That can slow down laying. Now that you're home, observing who goes into the box, and checking for an egg when they come out, is the best way to know who is laying. That will also help you begin to recognize what each hens egg looks like. Often, but not always, each hen will lay a slightly different shape or color.

Yes it have been very hot. I am in Nh and we are in a drought.
Also all the eggs we have gotten all look the exact same small eggs.
We had put the go pro in there and saw 1 in the nesting box . I think she may be the only one laying.

They are all about the same age.. the others will catch on soon I assume?

Ugh patients is not my middle name! Haha

Thank you for the easing of the mind.. oh read so much about diseases and sickness.

I told my fiancé that I think they are holding them in because they had to stay in the pen while we were gone :lau

Ugh patients is not my middle name! Haha

Thank you for the easing of the mind.. oh read so much about diseases and sickness.

I told my fiancé that I think they are holding them in because they had to stay in the pen while we were gone :lau
Well, just saying, it might be a good idea to keep them locked in their pen 24/7 still for a couple more weeks, to ensure they know where to lay. :) (And then you might better be able to tell when the other ones have started, too, and will know where to go).

Will do - thanks for the idea we will try that ! Hopefully get some more eggs before summers over !

Back
Top Bottom