Hen seems fine but won't stand

JuwanaMan

Hatching
Oct 10, 2018
hen Brown ISA about 2 - last two days I've caught her just lying in the bed of the copp. Tried to get her to walk but she's favoring a leg and keeps falling over. Eyes and comb look fine. Picture attached of legs side affected is forefront. Anyone see something I'm not?

Worried cause it's now snowing in my area and I'm not certain she is getting water or food. So I brought her in my house.

I noticed if I pet her one side, her wing comes out and loses balance. If tucking her tail is a thing...she's doing it. Do I just let her rest or is there something I should be doing? Is it even her feet or could it be her leg, wing, I have no idea. Other than this she seems fine. Noisy still
IMG_20181113_173253.jpg
IMG_20181113_173253.jpg
IMG_20181113_173219.jpg
IMG_20181113_175505.jpg
IMG_20181113_175505.jpg
IMG_20181113_173253.jpg

hen Brown ISA about 2 - last two days I've caught her just lying in the bed of the copp. Tried to get her to walk but she's favoring a leg and keeps falling over. Eyes and comb look fine. Picture attached of legs side affected is forefront. Anyone see something I'm not?

Worried cause it's now snowing in my area and I'm not certain she is getting water or food. So I brought her in my house.

I noticed if I pet her one side, her wing comes out and loses balance. If tucking her tail is a thing...she's doing it. Do I just let her rest or is there something I should be doing? Is it even her feet or could it be her leg, wing, I have no idea. Other than this she seems fine. Noisy stillView attachment 1589190View attachment 1589190 View attachment 1589193 View attachment 1589194 View attachment 1589194 View attachment 1589190

What are some other symptoms if any?

I noticed if I pet her one side, her wing comes out and loses balance. If tucking her tail is a thing...she's doing it. Do I just let her rest or is there something I should be doing? Is it even her feet or could it be her leg, wing, I have no idea. Other than this she seems fine. Noisy stillView attachment 1589190View attachment 1589190 View attachment 1589193 View attachment 1589194 View attachment 1589194 View attachment 1589190
Is this the same girl you posted about last month?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-recomnations-recent-broody-and-maybe-sick.1276255/

If it is, did she resume laying or did she molt?
Did she ever gain weight?
Can she stand at all?

Is this the same girl you posted about last month?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-recomnations-recent-broody-and-maybe-sick.1276255/

If it is, did she resume laying or did she molt?
Did she ever gain weight?
Can she stand at all?

Not the same hen. The other bouced back looks better than ever weight, color, comb & feathers all came back. I got them some vitamins for water too.

This one though, she can stand. She'll even attempt to walk, but is favoring the one side so much she gets about 1 step and falls. She didn't even fuss when I had her stand in my sink with water (although she was just bearing weight on one leg)

The more I think about it. I'm wondering if she fell off the perch earlier this week. In my coop they have an out door perch and they crowd on it. Maybe she strained or sprained her leg?

Do chickens make noise/whine if you touch an injured spot? Cause she's not making much noise at all. Figured I'd have to deal with sqwaking in doors, but she's just chilling and sleeping.

Hopefully the others won't pick on this one when I take her back out when she's ready.

They are very stoic, so likely she won't indicate much sound even if she's in a lot of pain.

When was the last time this one laid an egg?
Feel her abdomen - does is feel bloated, swollen or fluid filled?
I would lean toward her having a reproductive problem simply because of her age and breed. I could be wrong and the limping is caused by disease like Marek's.

Do what you can for her, keep her eating/drinking well.

Glad the other one has recovered!

Recently a chicken of mine was sick. She wouldn’t stand, walk, eat, or show much interest in anything. Try to get her to drink as much as you can. Chickens are also social birds so make sure she sees and gets time with others. If your other chicken bounced back I suspect this one will too. Good luck!

IMG_20181115_193347.jpg
Ok - so I'll try n get a better pic. But she will stand, but is still favoring a foot (no bearing weight). You think this could be bumble foot? I don't see an open sore like alot of the photos online. If it is, what's my best treatment? Incision or just soak her foot everyday?View attachment 1590999

Last edited:
View attachment 1591002 Ok - so I'll try n get a better pic. But she will stand, but is still favoring a foot (no bearing weight). You think this could be bumble foot? I don't see an open sore like alot of the photos online. If it is, what's my best treatment? Incision or just soak her foot everyday?View attachment 1590999
Could be, not a great pic-sorry.
upload_2018-11-15_19-40-59.png

I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

I've had limpers:
If limp is really bothering them by inhibiting their normal activities too much, I will isolate them in a crate to 'force' rest for a day or two. Letting them out late in day, an hour before roost time, to give them a stretch and evaluate their mobility, then decide if they need another day and put them back in crate off roost after dark. Repeat stretch and eval the next day until they are better. Keep crate in coop so bird can remain 'with' the flock.

View attachment 1591002 Ok - so I'll try n get a better pic. But she will stand, but is still favoring a foot (no bearing weight). You think this could be bumble foot? I don't see an open sore like alot of the photos online. If it is, what's my best treatment? Incision or just soak her foot everyday?View attachment 1590999
What does the area with the red arrow pointing to it look like after you soak and wash the foot up well. I'm thinking that is just dirt.

The red circle, she has a small scab there on the toe. Likely you can pry that out after soaking, but if it won't budge, the apply some Clear (decolorized) Iodine, wrap and then check it the next day, it should hopefully be loose enough to pull out.

upload_2018-11-16_6-36-47.png

Back
Top Bottom