Hen shaking head and stretching mouth please help

lil bird lady1

Chirping
Feb 1, 2017
Shes about 9 months, shes a silkie hen, shes the only one in the flock acting this way, she doesnt make a noise when she does it, she seems otherwise healthy, I just noticed it today, she was vaccinated by cackle hatchery, I've never had this happen within a flock, shes eating fine. When she does it she stretches out her neck, opens her mouth wide and shakes her head for a moment, and goes back to normal but she does it several times in a row and while shes eating she stops to slightly shake her head for short periods of time. It could be nothing but it concerns me so any help would be great.
Screenshot_20181123-162114_Video Player.jpg

Dors she do this all the time, or just when she eats? Does she have any other symptoms? Eating, drinking, pooping, acting ok otherwise?

My brahma does this when she eats, but only for a time. I read that it's how they adjust food in their crops.

I'm pretty new at this chicken thing, but when my girl did this, I got worried. Someone here, someone with more experience, said this was normal as long as she didn't do this constantly. Hopefully, a more experienced chicken owner can provide more info.

Last edited:
Dors she do this all the time, or just when she eats? Does she have any other symptoms? Eating, drinking, pooping, acting ok otherwise?

My brahma does this when she eats, but only for a time. I read that it's how they adjust food in their crops.

I'm pretty new at this chicken thing, but when my girl did this, I got worried. Someone here, someone with more experience, did this was normal add long as she didn't do this constantly. Hopefully, a more experienced chicken owner can provide more info.

I've only just noticed this today so I havent seen any other symptoms. She was eating when I noticed it so that could very well be it, thank you! I've been keeping two flocks for 4 years and it still feels like I'm rather new at this too

I've only just noticed this today so I havent seen any other symptoms. She was eating when I noticed it so that could very well be it, thank you! I've been keeping two flocks for 4 years and it still feels like I'm rather new at this too

Keep an eye on it, though. I also read about respiratory infections and parasites that can cause the sane thing. I with listen to her breathing, too. Make sure nothing is rattling, no mucous, etc. I hope that's all it is...

I agree that she could just be eating weirdly today. Kinda like when you choke on water and you kinda coff for a while, she may just be working to get things down right. If she continues to do this for more than a day or two I would definitely do some research on parasites or other reasons she could be doing that though. Hopefully some more experienced chicken people will chime in too :)

I've only just noticed this today so I havent seen any other symptoms. She was eating when I noticed it so that could very well be it
I agree with @Aunt Angus likely you saw her stretching her neck/adjusting her crop since you noticed this behavior while she was eating.

Keep an eye on her for a few days. It won't hurt to check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty and watch to see that she's drinking well.
If the behavior continues, then look inside the beak to make sure there is no stuck food, plaques, lesions or canker.

Back
Top Bottom