Hen shaking her crop and acting weird. (Updated with recovery!)

I guess the next steps are to check her tomorrow morning for a full crop, get a fecal test done, and just keep monitoring her, correct? Do you suggest I start the minconazole treatment tomorrow?

Yes, they have access to grit, both natural (outside) and in their run.

I guess the next steps are to check her tomorrow morning for a full crop, get a fecal test done, and just keep monitoring her, correct? Do you suggest I start the minconazole treatment tomorrow?
These are the good next steps to do.

IF the crop has not emptied tomorrow morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then I would start the Miconazole.
Crop issues take time to resolve, it can take weeks sometimes, so there's no quick treatment and don't stop too early.

They have "natural grit" outside and in the run - does that mean they look for their own grit? While most soils have suitable small stones and chickens can usually find grit while scratching about/foraging. Imho, it's a best practice to also provide a small cup or scatter some purchased grit (Crushed Granite) in the run or coop, this way you know they at least have access to suitable grit - whether they take pieces or not, you can't make them, but my birds do.

Update:
When I let the flock out this morning, I picked her up (before she got a chance to eat) and felt her crop. It was still full and felt like a "sand filled balloon". She also has a bit of discharge coming from her nostrils. (It that technically impacted crop, or sour crop? Impacted with a yeast infection?)
We separated her into a dog cage in the garage and gave her the first dose of miconazole. She ate the 1/2 inch dose no problem, so that's good. (It should be 1/2 inch, twice daily, correct?)
What should I do next?

Last edited:
They have "natural grit" outside and in the run - does that mean they look for their own grit? While most soils have suitable small stones and chickens can usually find grit while scratching about/foraging. Imho, it's a best practice to also provide a small cup or scatter some purchased grit (Crushed Granite) in the run or coop, this way you know they at least have access to suitable grit - whether they take pieces or not, you can't make them, but my birds do.
They are provided with granite grit in their run, in a little mason jar feeder. I also scatter some every 1-2 weeks, I find they like searching for it.

There are a few piles of natural stones that they like to pick at while free-ranging; they pick the sizes they want from the piles. That's what I meant by natural grit.

I would let her be with the others. I only suggested a crate in case she is so hard for you to catch her. But I meant inside the coop. Since you got her this morning so early, I would let her stay out with her flock. They are usually more happy with their buddies. Check her again in the morning. A “ sand filled balloon” sounds more like a doughy or impacted crop than a puffy soft crop going sour. Let us know how she gets along, and be patient, since crop issues are usually not cured overnight. They can be a chronic problem in some birds, due to worms, reproductive problems and others.

A “ sand filled balloon” sounds more like a doughy or impacted crop than a puffy soft crop going sour.
I could feel what I'm assuming are grasses in there. We had hay inside the run (about two weeks ago, when the problems first started) and I think she must have eaten some. It probably got stuck and started building up into an impacted crop.

Update:
We moved her cage into the run. She perked up quite a bit after seeing her flockmates. (She was droopy and sad looking before, and her tail was down. Now it’s up and she looks better.)
She has water with apple cider vinegar. No food.

When I came back into the coop to put a towel down for her, there was some brown liquid on the floor. It kinda looks like she threw up a bit. What do you think? @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
IMG_1614.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg

Last edited:
The crop walls are thin. You should be able to feel the texture of grass in the crop. If you are pretty sure she has impacted grass, then you should be treating with coconut oil to try to break up the crop material. that's the first thing I do when treating an impacted/sour crop. Go back and read my article. @Eggcessive posted in on #11. It tells exactly how to do it. It's time consumuming, so keep at it until the crop is down to a minimum of material.

Back
Top Bottom