Hen Sitting on hocks, lame, head shaking.....

Mainechick168

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Maine
I have an aprox. 7 month old chicken who I just recently noticed is not acting quite right- she is shaking her head and "yawning" a bunch, and seems unsteady on her feet, and is sitting back on her hocks quite a bit. Her poos are a little loose- her vent area is a little messy- She is eatting ok- she ate the scratch with everyone when I put it out this morning.

I am wondering what this might be? and if there is anything I can do for her?

I have an aprox. 7 month old chicken who I just recently noticed is not acting quite right- she is shaking her head and "yawning" a bunch, and seems unsteady on her feet, and is sitting back on her hocks quite a bit. Her poos are a little loose- her vent area is a little messy- She is eatting ok- she ate the scratch with everyone when I put it out this morning.

I am wondering what this might be? and if there is anything I can do for her?
any advice here? her feathers are ruffled and shes not keeping up with the rest of the group

Could be a number of things. I would isolate her immediately in a crate with water, food, bedding and a heat lamp. Check her crop, clean her vent, and monitor her droppings. Have you wormed her recently? Check her over for mites and lice (especially around the vent and head).

Back
Top Bottom