Hen sneezing constantly. Cause for concern?

Theblackwizards

Hatching
7 Years
May 20, 2012
Hello again.

I have a young sussex bantam hen, only just past point of lay. She's one of four birds we bought from a friend who was getting rid of them.

She sneezed infrequently when we got her, but now (a couple of weeks down the line) I've noticed she's sneezing a lot, more or less constantly. She's sometimes blowing bubbles from her nose when she sneezes too.

Other than that her behaviour seems normal, shes bright eyed & active & is eating properly.

Is the sneezing a cause for concern? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

- Jack

Edit, just been out to see the girls, picked this one up & shes actually wheezing a bit when she breathes now! Oh dear.

Last edited:
Hello again.

I have a young sussex bantam hen, only just past point of lay. She's one of four birds we bought from a friend who was getting rid of them.

She sneezed infrequently when we got her, but now (a couple of weeks down the line) I've noticed she's sneezing a lot, more or less constantly. She's sometimes blowing bubbles from her nose when she sneezes too.

Other than that her behaviour seems normal, shes bright eyed & active & is eating properly.

Is the sneezing a cause for concern? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

- Jack

Edit, just been out to see the girls, picked this one up & shes actually wheezing a bit when she breathes now! Oh dear.
Sneezing, wheezing, runny nostrils is usually a sign of a respiratory disease. If she's been with the others, most likely your other birds will become infected. Respiratory diseases in chickens are contageous and even though there are treatments, the birds are never cured of the disease. They remain carriers of the disease and will spread it to new birds. There are 2 options; treat or cull.
Here's a link to respiratory diseases in chickens:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Check the following diseases for what she may possibly have: Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)

Cause for concern? Yes. It sounds like you have been given an infected flock. Your "friend" probably wanted to off-load a batch of sick birds so s/he didn't have to deal with them. Chickens do not get colds. They get one of a spectrum of diseases known as CRD (chronic respiratory disease), which are incurable and highly contagious. The birds should probably be destroyed. Some folks opt to treat these birds, but I have a zero tolerance policy for respiratory illnesses. The birds will infect any bird that comes in contact with them for the remainder of their lives. You will never be able to bring in any new birds because they will be infected by whatever your flock has. You will constantly be treating these birds for relapses any time they get stressed because they will get sick over and over. You will not ever get the eggs you should from these birds because they will be in one medicine withdrawal period or another and the eggs will be unsafe for consumption. Basically, you will spend a lot of time, effort, and money on these birds only to have to do it again and again. Not worth it!

Contact your friend, return the birds, demand your money back, and give him/her an earful for selling infected birds. People that pull that crap disgust me. They are the reason I never buy birds from a private source.

Good luck.

Three years ago, I went to Blacksmiths Corner in L.A. and bought four pullets. Big mistake - I learned my lesson. I mention Blacksmiths b/c every feed store around here recommends them for pullets and people go in there and see the birds "Oh how cute" and walk out with a disease factory. I did. I put them in a cage which was inside the run and, second mistake, let them out within a week to be with my other two. Before long I realized one had a "cold" - never did dx what it was but I ended up returning two of them and they wouldn't refund my money, I think they put them back in with the rest. There were about 60 birds there all different ages and pigeons and other birds came and went as they pleased. Anyway, turns out I chased respiratory round and round with my birds, not wanting to gang treat but when one was better another would get it. Long story short - I gave up and treated all of them at once. Duramycin. Haven't had a problem since. No relapses. But CMV is right, you will spend money, time, effort, and I might say, heartache before you get a cure. It all depends on what respiratory they have. Be careful where you get your birds from. If you do buy or acquire grown birds, I say learn how to inspect them before taking them home, then quarantine.

I had a guy in bluff city Tennessee just sell me 3 liege fighters with a respiratory disease. 5 hour ride for nothing. I hope i can save these and its not un treatable. ill try the Duramycin and hope for the best. im very upset but thanks for the input on the Duramycin .

Back
Top Bottom