Hen sounds like a goose!

Phisch

Songster
Oct 3, 2018
Why on earth? This is new. She also has hiccups. Should we worry?

She’s able to not make that noise but as she walks around she makes those little honking noises. She stops when she digs something up that has her attention.

Maybe she just has a different voice? I've been told my Harvey sounds like a goose, and also a donkey! If she is not sick, and acting normally (eating, drinking, pooping, roosting, dust bathing, etc) I wouldn't worry about the sounds she makes! I've never had a chicken with hiccups!

Why on earth? This is new. She also has hiccups. Should we worry?

She’s able to not make that noise but as she walks around she makes those little honking noises. She stops when she digs something up that has her attention.
Lol, I have one that doesn't "cluck" at all. She has always said, "Honk Honk". She is healthy, & is the sweetest White Cochin layer. We call her "SweetPea".

Yes, that video helps! How old is she? She is making a noise when inspiring air and making another noise right after when expiring air. Sort of like a kid that finds out they can make noises doing that. Do you know what I mean? She doesn't look ill, her crop is full so I can see she is eating. Any other odd behaviors that worry you? Is she breathing ok otherwise? If all else is well she is just experimenting with her voice I think. ;)

It’s when she inhales. Someone in a FB group I’m in said she’s hot, maybe. So we dunked her and the goose-y sound is more like a wheeze now. So maybe that’s it? We’re giving her another water dunk in a few and hope it helps more. All the girls and the rooster are doing their free-ranging and a few are walking around with wings a bit extended. It’s hot for sure.

Back
Top Bottom