Hen sounds like a goose!

Yes, that video helps! How old is she? She is making a noise when inspiring air and making another noise right after when expiring air. Sort of like a kid that finds out they can make noises doing that. Do you know what I mean? She doesn't look ill, her crop is full so I can see she is eating. Any other odd behaviors that worry you? Is she breathing ok otherwise? If all else is well she is just experimenting with her voice I think. ;)

Behavior is fine and normal, she’s not quite a year (Baby from oct. 2018).

For sure she’s hot, her crop looks huge too, maybe it’s just a combo of her panting and the crop pressing on her throat?
Could be! We did more massaging and another, longer dunk in cool water. I hope this stops soon

Oh no. Could this be the reason? Seems unrelated and might not be a big deal but we just noticed this swelling.

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 12

Maybe this will clear it up.
Sure does.

It’s when she inhales. Someone in a FB group I’m in said she’s hot, maybe. So we dunked her and the goose-y sound is more like a wheeze now. So maybe that’s it? We’re giving her another water dunk in a few and hope it helps more. All the girls and the rooster are doing their free-ranging and a few are walking around with wings a bit extended. It’s hot for sure.
She may have aspirated some fluid. Don't mess with her crop, good way to 'drown' them.

Best bet for cooling off birds:
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
I usually mix a half gallon for 15-20 birds, wrap remaining powder tight and store in a dry cool place.
upload_2019-6-9_9-27-53.png

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
full

Make space in your freezer.
full

Back
Top Bottom