Hen staying in nesting box... But NO eggs!

You think my brooch hen is determined? Well... I am too. I still wanna figure out more.

How old are they usually when the momma can't sit on them anymore?
Is it too cold now to try to hatch a chick?
Why does the momma and her crew have to be sePerated from the rest of the flock?

How can I break the broodiness? (that doesn't involve a chick)

You don't have to get rid of your hen, broodiness is temporary. Go to the top right of the screen and type "breaking up a broody" and you will be able to read lots of ways to break her up. If you want, just let her be. She will eventually give up on her own, but it may take months. Good luck...

Quote:
It's worth a shot - I haven't tried that one myself...
smile.png

Quote:
It's worth a shot - I haven't tried that one myself...
smile.png

Alright. Just to let you know, it is meant for a grown rottie, so it pretty big.

My buff went broody this week also, we love that chicken and it's funny how she will not let the girls get into the nest to lay there eggs, if they do get a chance with her there she steals there eggs. Today I took her off the nest and locked her out of the coop so she could eat grass and such. She may be broody, but I'm not going to let her spend all her time in that nest. She sleeps in it now to, but at least during the day when I get home from work she is put directly out of the coop and down on the ground. We are getting to cold to let her lay fertile eggs, and no rooster so we would have to buy eggs for her to lay. We will let her do this in the spring, but not now. Come February we will give her some eggs and let her hatch them . By then spring will be almost here and safer for her and the chicks. I feel for her, but it's not going not happen for months lol. she is not even 8 months old and has always wanted to be a mommy. This spring she will be! I have friends in other states that wish she was there's lol, they can not seem to get a broody hen.

Back
Top Bottom