Hen still sick after treatement with Tylan 50

RayKat2008

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
North Carolina
Hi all,
My husband and I have only had our hens for about a year and a half now. We got a few new ones at a flock swap which seem to have brought CRD (we think) with them. We had two hens that have been with us for a while develop a cough, runny nostrils, sleepiness, loss of appetite, raspy breathing and reduced egg production. We treated our flock with tetracycline in their water but one hen needed more. We've given her 1 1/2 cc of Tylan 50 injectable for five days now and she's still has a gurgling sound when she breathes and isn't drinking anything. Two quick questions: Is she still contagious to our other hens? We've had her quarantined this whole time. What else can we do for her now that we're at the end of the recommended dosing for Tylan? Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks! Kathie

Last edited:
You will have to keep her quarantined for the rest of her life IF she survives. MG is contageous. Strict biosecurity is a must when dealing with MG. It can even pass through the eggs. Dont handle her and then handle your "clean" birds, clothing/shoes can be an issue.
Tylan is potent. If it didnt work, it would be best to cull.

Thanks for the response dawg53. She's better than she was. At one point one side of her face was swollen and now has gone down. She's no longer doing any open mouth breathing. She just has a rattle when she is breathing, no appetite, and isn't drinking. I just hate to hear she'd have to be quarantined the rest of her life. We currently don't breed so passing it via eggs isn't a question, but if I'm understanding correctly, she could still pass it to our other chickens even if she recovers after treatment? Just want to be sure. I'd hate to cull her. We've never had to do before but will if it will save our other hens.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response dawg53. She's better than she was. At one point one side of her face was swollen and now has gone down. She's no longer doing any open mouth breathing. She just has a rattle when she is breathing, no appetite, and isn't drinking. I just hate to hear she'd have to be quarantined the rest of her life. We currently don't breed so passing it via eggs isn't a question, but if I'm understanding correctly, she could still pass it to our other chickens even if she recovers after treatment? Just want to be sure. I'd hate to cull her. We've never had to do before but will if it will save our other hens.
Yes, she will be a carrier for the rest of her life. Here's a link:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Thanks! My hubby is going to cull the one that is still sick. The others seemed to have warded it off with oral tetracycline. Lesson learned: buy your chicks from a reputable hatchery...not a flock and swap in a parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom