Hen Stopped Laying eggs, any help on how to help her.

KarinaB14

Hatching
Oct 18, 2019
Hi everyone,

One of our Hens hasn't laid an egg now for the past 5 days. The last two she did lay were very small as well with no yolk inside. She has just turned 1yrs old, she is a consistent layer with the odd day here and there where she hasn't laid. Nothing has changed with their food or diet so really not sure what has happened.
I have been monitoring them in the morning, and she actually goes into the nesting boxes for about 30 minutes (I don't know if she is just sitting on her sisters egg or if she is trying to lay one herself) and then comes down and stands in the corner of the coop (same spot every time) and starts doing an alarmed squawking sound instead of her usual morning song, and has only started making this noise ever since she has stopped laying. She isn't broody as she doesn't have any other symptoms of that and acts absolutely normal the rest of the day.

Any suggestions would be really helpful, just so we can understand what is going on. I am not sure what type of Hen she is, but i have attached a picture below so you can see what she looks like.

Thank you in advance for anyone who replies!
XLEB1214.JPG

Sounds like she may be taking a break. What do you feed? I find feeding a ration with 18-20% protein can help optimize laying in hens. A layer ration contains the minimum daily requirements, so feeding extras can leave hen deficient.

Back
Top Bottom