Hen stopped laying. Is something wrong? :(

blackwingedwolf

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
My red star is a new layer, and I know that new layers are inconsistent, but it has been nine days since she last laid an egg. The last egg she laid was a no-shelled egg and it happened some time during the night since I found yolk splattering the ground of the roost. She's almost 23 weeks old. At first I thought she was egg bound since she was acting unlike herself, but now she seems completely fine, but still no more eggs. Before the no shelled egg, she had laid five brown eggs in a row. Is this normal or is something wrong? :(

If you saw yolk spattering, she probably stepped on a thin or no shelled egg and then ate it. Hens and pullets do this sometimes.

Do you have a bowl of oyster shell freely available in addition to her layer feed?

The hen is 23 weeks old and they are about two or two and a half feet from the ground, which is covered with newspaper, so nothing incredibly soft. I think she laid it on the bar and when it hit the newspaper, it broke and splattered. They always have the oyster shell available with their food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom